The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Another Chimera Question

Technical and account questions go here

Another Chimera Question

Postby Pentallion » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:11 pm

So when I attack, I have to push the button to finish declaring attackers. At this point, Chimera highlights and I can use her powers. But when I block, not get attacked, but block, I still have to push the button to finish declaring attackers and up to that point, I can't use Chimera's powers. Here's the thing, even though Chimera's powers state they can be used against creatures she's engaged in combat with, her powers never highlight when blocking so I can't ever use them.

Is that a bug?
Pentallion

Re: Another Chimera Question

Postby VitamineC » Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:32 am

It's an obscure rule but creatures only count as engaged in combat after blockers have been declared. The simple reason for this is that it prevents you from choosing Chimera (or a creature with similar abilities) to block/attack one creature, use one of the "engaged in combat" abilities, cancel the attack/block, then attack/block another creature use the abilities on that creature and so on.
Before the final block is declared there's no actual guarantee that creatures assigned to one another will actually fight each other since you can freely cancel attacks/blocks before you declare anything. If this restriction wasn't in place the "engaged in combat" status would be effectively meaningless.
Your friendly neighborhood forum moderator
Filthy spammer vermin exterminated: 892
VitamineC

Postby Pentallion » Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Maybe I wasn't clear about my question. I get that I have to click the submit button to declare blockers. The problem is that, unlike attacking where the Chimera highlights so I can use it's powers right after I submit him as an attacker, as a blocker, he never highlights his abilities.

Chimera's abilities can only be used when he attacks, not when he blocks. But the card says he can use his abilities anytime he's engaged in combat.
So is that a bug or is he only supposed to be able to use his abilities when attacking and not when blocking?
Pentallion

Postby dermen » Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:12 pm

The blocker clicks the button to confirm his blocks, and after that the creatures are engaged in combat. The problem is, that the blocker don't get back control after that, so he can't use abilities with "if engaged in combat". It's not a bug, but regular game mechanic.
dermen

Return to Help and Support