The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Just Starting? Here's what to play

Share your thoughts and decks!

Just Starting? Here's what to play

Postby VanguardX » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:14 am

Hey there,

If you're just starting in Spellweaver, the fastest way to get better and get cards is to play the ranked ladder. In this series I'll post decks you can build quickly and use to climb the ladder.

Why should you listen to me?
I've been playing Spellweaver for about 2 years. I was a first-ballot hall of famer, I've won masters as many times as anyone, and I invented some of the decks I'll write about in this series.

Red Soldiers
In my opinion this is the best deck to start with as a new player. It's one of the better aggro decks and it builds quickly off the first deck you get. Red soldiers relies on a simple curve, so even if you don't have all the right cards you can build a version that is 80% as good as a perfect list just by getting the curve right. You'll be ready to build this deck almost as soon as you qualify to play on the ranked ladder.

Gameplan
You're almost always the beatdown deck, meaning you need to win first. You want to play aggressively, maintain board control, and end the game around turn 6. If the game goes much longer than that you're likely to lose.

The Hero
You're using Basic Alexa, the first hero you get when you start the game.

The Creature Curve
Your first level will be Order (gold) and your second level will be rage (red). You're usually going to get your second level when you have 2 mana or 3 mana.

1 Drops: Ideally you want 8 one drops: 4 steelhost spearmen and 4 sentry of the light. The other order options are relic guard and pegasus...and they aren't good in this deck. Put in as many steelhost spearmen and sentries as you can - and if you don't have 4 of each, put in more of the 2 drops.

2 Drops: Order has a bunch of 2 mana soldiers. They all work in this deck, and ideally you want about 8 of them. If you don't have as many 1 drops, you can play up to 10 2-drops.
Steelnor innkeeper is probably the best 2 mana soldier. Play as many of him as you have. After that you can fill in with Dwarf Spellbreaker (best IMO), Dwarf musketeer (not as good at high levels); Temple Guard (best if you have 4 sentries of the light); or Heavy Infantry (not that good). As long as you have some combination of these that adds up to 8 cards in your deck, you're in good shape.

3 drops: In this slot you'll have both 3-mana, one-aspect cards and 2-mana 2-aspect cards. It's the place with the most flexibility in the deck. The non-negotiable is 4 Elite Vanguards. After that, put in as many cavalry field captains as you have, and as many Knight recruiters as you'd like. You can have up to 12 cards in this slot (4 of each), but I usually like to aim for 10 (4 Vanguards, with CFC and Knight Recruiter making up the other 6)

4 drops: There's one creature in this slot - master tactician. Put in as many of him as you have, up to the maximum of 4. He's the most important creature in the deck.

Spell and Artifact Options
You're got flexibility with your spells and artifacts. Usually you'll have 12 of them. 8 are pretty much non-negotiables:

4 Fireballs: It's why you're playing red. You want fireballs.
4 Guards Guards: You're playing soldiers. This provides great versatility.

The other 4 spell/artifact slots are flexible. You can consider Massive Assault, Insignia of the Sun, and Forced Labor. Some people also play touch of light, pacify, or even lightning bolt.

Shrines
You want 19 of them. 8 rage shrines, 7 or 8 order shrines, and 2 or 3 soldiers memorials.
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/vanguardx_

10th Masters Champion
VanguardX

Re: Just Starting? Here's what to play

Postby Type100 » Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:47 pm

Nice guide. Bumping so that more new players will see it :D
Type100

Postby Rinriet » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:03 pm

Hi everyone :)

I want to confirm what VanguardX says.

Last month I reached top 1 in ladder playing only with Red Soldiers (82% win rate in 50 matches). When I reached that the account was lv 19 so definetely the deck is affordable by new players.

The deck is easy to play compared to other things, but it is a little hard to squeeze all the juice from it. It is a perfect deck for learning the multiple tricks and mechanics of Spellweaver.

I add the proof of what I say, plus the cards I was using. I don't like the list 100%, but the account lacks some cards.
Rinriet

Postby VanguardX » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:12 am

Check out https://www.spellweaverdb.com/getting-started/ for more resources and guides!
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/vanguardx_

10th Masters Champion
VanguardX

Postby freebie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Yeah, I am sure you pro's/veterans really enjoy getting your butts kicked, because some newb drew crazy with this broken shit :). You (both) can learn so much... Absolutely do not agree with Rinriet. The most you can get at best is trading smart (sometime). That's not even close to the depth the game offers. Although I accepted the fact that devs don't care about doing anything to lessen the impact of both top agressive and control decks. There must be staples, there must be easy and dumb shit so you can have access to newcomers. I get that as well, but you can attempt to make balance/changes about those and still keep their integrity.
freebie

Return to Cards, Decks and Strategies