The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Summer promotion, and an update on iOS/Android

Discuss the game, ask us questions, and see the latest news here

Summer promotion, and an update on iOS/Android

Postby ivko » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:00 pm

Hey guys,

It's been a while since we last posted an update here, and I thought it is due time for that.

Summer Promotion

Next week, we will start a promotion that lets every player play with ALL the cards in the game for 3 days. We will let each player activate these 3 days whenever he/she feels like. The same game update will also contain numerous bug fixes.

Then, when the 3-day period ends, you will be able to purchase the cards you have at least 5 wins with (in Friendly, Ranked, or Tournaments) during the promotion for a bargain price in Crystals.

I know what most of you are probably thinking - this doesn't affect me, I already have the cards I need!

But this promotion is designed for new players, or for players who played Spellweaver but left for one reason or another. We will launch a visibility round on Steam, and actively promote this to the existing user base, in order to get as many people as we can back on board.

iOS and Android

In the meantime, we've been working on the iOS and Android releases. Both the versions are playable now, but we have at least 1 month left for testing, optimizations, and bug-fixing. We've been progressing slower than usual, because one team member has a newborn son (yay!), and another one is in the mid of his exam session.

We'd also like to take the opportunity to make the game feel much better for players who are just starting now, improving on tutorials, and the first time experience in general. Because honestly, it would be a shame if we miss the opportunity we have for this right now.

We'd really want to make the best out of this release, because the game needs it. So it might take a while, but in the end the result will be worth the effort and all the waiting, and we will know we've done the right thing!
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Re: Summer promotion, and an update on iOS/Android

Postby VitamineC » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:21 pm

Good to hear you're addressing the tutorial and new player experience before you launch the mobile versions. I hope the release will go smoothly and bring in a lot more new players.
Your friendly neighborhood forum moderator
Filthy spammer vermin exterminated: 892
VitamineC

Postby ShadoWolf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 3:28 pm

I hope you are planning on improving the social expierences, social components are a important feature on mobile games, keeping the players online even if they didnt really like a game.
ShadoWolf

Postby ivko » Fri Jun 02, 2017 4:29 pm

ShadoWolf wrote:I hope you are planning on improving the social expierences, social components are a important feature on mobile games, keeping the players online even if they didnt really like a game.

Could you maybe give me some examples, or are you only referring to the friends and chat system?
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby ShadoWolf » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:32 pm

Global chats and friends are a part of it but not the whole thing.

You need social hooks that binds player loong term too the game.

1. Friend bonus systems
Examples: FameVile, Summoner wars or Fireemblem Heros.

Friends can give a small bonus when visiting you (needs a base) or sending a daily/weekly gift too a fixed number of players (like the halloween event).

You could even go a step further and require both players too be on, that way local groups would be founded.
Of course there have too be a way players can find one another too befriend.

2. World events
Examples: Liberators or C&C Tiberium Alliances

Players have a limited time too fulfill a quest, Liberators use a Boss battle where you getting rewards based on the damage and the boss are only aviable for some hours.

C&C TA use farming events for SW it could be like win 10000 ranked in 1 week or complete 500 trials gives all players playing at least a bit the same reward.

Additional the C&C way could be a crowd control too stimulate a game modus for a period.

3. Clans or Guilds
Examples: mostly all succesfull online games

Veterans provide help for new players and bring them into the game.
GIves players a longterm goal. like building a stronghold thats cost many ressources(additional a gold sink).
Keeps the casuals into a competiv game like battles between guilds or defend the stronghold agains AI.
Could give small bonus when enough players are online together.

4. World chat
(i know your position on it and that some laws requires it to be monitored, thats currently not possible)

Communication between random players should not be underestimated, takes away the feeling of playing alone,
provides distraction while wating for games, can create friendships or rivals that bound emotional too a game,
helps new players and provide a way too find guilds.

5. Premium systems (a bit offtopic)
Examples: World of Tanks or Summoners Wars

Gives a % buff on fame and/or gold and can be purchased for a fixed time agains crystals or money.

WoT used a range between 1 day too 1 year (1d,3d,7d,30d,6m,1y)
The first 3 are for casuals and quite expensiv compared too the others.

They use the psychological effect that players keep staying and playing while they have a premium account,
because they dont want too lose out on purchased time.
Additional it creates steady money for the game.

I know that World bosses and Guilds are founded but have still a long way too go.
Ok have too stop now or i get offtopic.
ShadoWolf

Postby Carnevil » Fri Jun 02, 2017 5:36 pm

Maybe it's agood idea to make something like the spellweaver chronicles (campaign) but this time as a tutorial.

With every mission a skill explaned : speed, deadly, flying, ranged, support, block, lifebound.....

so the new players can learn all those things before playing against others.

And maybe also side missions against some theme decks : goblins, elves, zombies...

With in every mission some cards as a reward.
Carnevil

Postby steinr » Fri Jun 02, 2017 6:00 pm

My 10 cents on the social aspects:
I'd like to see better player profiles!
Right now I can see Rank and Avg Trial Winrate. That's interesting.
Here's what else you could show:
-) Graph showing elo over time
-) Avg winrate last week
-) Avg winrate all time
-) Avg winrate Trials
-) Avg winrate Tournaments, constructed
-) Avg winrate Drafts
-) Most used heroes (Top 3?) all time
-) Most used heroes last week
-) Masters points, Maters titles
-) Earned Achievements
-) Languages speaking
-) playing since
-) hours played
-) Shared Decklists

I don't say that it needs all of this. But some numbers and facts would be nice and interesting and give motivation to get better ;D
Sorry, I don't work here - I just like green.
steinr

Postby J_BYYX » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:24 pm

There should be some ways to make people to login each day and play.
We have quests, but I think it's not enough.

Some games has limited time events daily/weekly/monthly (SW gets those, but they are rare).

For example:
Weekly card flip: Login each day to reveal one of the 7 cards. One of those has Card of the Week, and others are random gold/crystal etc prizes.

Weekly/monthly Raid Boss: A special Hardcore+++ AI boss appears on the map. It has a lot of/infinite HP and strong boss cards/skills. Players can enter the raid fight only if they have special Raid Ticket that drops from playing PvP (friendly/ranked/trials/tournaments). Players have to reduce Boss HP. At the end of the week/month players are awarded with some kind of prizes based on how much damage they dealt to the boss.

Also I think game should try to implement "Loot box system". Play PvP, get random fragment/key drops, combine them. Those would have cosmetics only.

What I'm saying, players should get something small every time they win/lose instead of getting something after playing like 50 games to get a quest reward :D
Memes and spoilers guy
J_BYYX

Postby Spritesgc » Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:55 pm

Nice to read that mobile version is coming soon.
I'm interrsted to see how the UI and the board would fit the small screen.
Since everyone is giving suggestions, I would add mine as selecting a random (or whatever rarity card every X days, and give a craft bonus or discount for crafting. DoC had a system similar to that and was quite interesting to wait what next card would be selected.
Spritesgc

Postby VanguardX » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:38 pm

Great news. I'm excited.

I also think upping the social aspect of the game will help recruit and retain new players. I have much more fun being part of a team/guild, and if there were more teams out there it would increase the level of competition. A team/guild ladder, in addition to the individual ladder, would encourage me to play more and not to camp on a top-10 ladder spot.

I'd also put more money/crystals into the game for the ability to get team/guild rewards (like a cardback, etc).
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/vanguardx_

10th Masters Champion
VanguardX

Next

Return to General Discussion