New Player Experience & Feedback

If anything is on your mind, we'd like to hear it!

Re: New Player Experience & Feedback

Postby steinr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:28 pm

I agree that the shop is too expensive. I disagree that sw isnt incredibly generous on the f2p side. its easy to mix up these two

True story.
Sorry, I don't work here - I just like green.
steinr

Postby xonedl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:44 am

What do you like so far.
- resource & draw card mechanic result in more cards in play rather than empty handed just after a couple rounds like certain other card games. More cards to play = more monsters = more skirmishes = more fun

What do you dislike?
- maybe just the crafting seems rather steep in cost

What features/options would you like to see?
- have the 3D game board expanded all time rather than open/close

How do you feel about balance/economy?
- just wondering why almost every player I encountered use Ancient Treant cards... it's been a bit of frustration dealing with them
xonedl

Postby steinr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:05 pm

xonedl wrote:- just wondering why almost every player I encountered use Ancient Treant cards... it's been a bit of frustration dealing with them

I guess you played a lot against Kainu decks then? They play Treant...because it's a good card for midrange.
But you won't see any Treants in games against Control or Aggro.
Sorry, I don't work here - I just like green.
steinr

Postby loveGIANT » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:33 pm

Let's see
What do you like so far. What do you dislike?
That's a positive and a negative thing; I like that the community of this game is rather small. The good part is that u can get in contact with high level players and content creators really easily and get a bunch of tips and tricks. The bad part is obviously that there are not that many people to play with / against and most people in match making are just killers.
Overall i just love the gameplay of Spellweaver as well as the fact that there are so many different mechanics that you can build gimmick decks for. The diversity of the meta and some complaints in the Steam Forums also show that the game seems to be pretty balanced atm, since the decks of the pro's are pretty diversified and the complaints in the Steam Forums always shift - first they claim that demon's are op, then dominion and lately i've seen an uproar about order angels. Sounds balanced to me =)
Oh and before i forget, i love the fact that u don't get to choose a new base package every 5 levels, but that u can unlock them simply by doing the quest. That way it's easier for every player to get the basic cards of each level and u can emassen your stack of cards more easily.
Also the pay 2 win aspect is super low if not almost not present, which is a huge plus in my book.

Dislike
Ranked xD
I just started playing ranked today and i record my journey from (hopefully) bottom to top on YouTube. It's obvious that there are killers out there who destory me and u get better over time, but i think it's really frustrating for newer players. Even if they just play friendly games, the chance that they get destroyed and give up on the game is pretty high, i fear. Maybe that'll get better with a peak in players when the mobile version comes out.
Little side-note: I'm level 11 and recorded my rank journey today and i faced "An Album" which, after a look into tis forum revealed why he destroyed me that easily. Looks like a slight match-making issue, not sure how u'd fix something like that though.

I'd really love to see a more personalized profile sheet. If u click on your profile in-game u only see your level and what u get when u reach the next level.
I'd like to see a list of the matches i've played. So far the game only keeps track of ranked games and my stats there, but i'd also like to see a history of custom games and friendly games i've played.
And some more personal informations like what's my most played hero, action card, creature, level etc..
Also a way to add someone as a friend after a game would be a nice option.

Well. Pretty much explained it above =)
YouTube Content Creator.

Feel free to check out my Spellweaver Vids - A noob's perspective on Spellweaver
All Videos
My (hopefully) rise in Ranked Spellweaver

-> Make this a thing! <-
loveGIANT

Postby Maraut » Fri Mar 10, 2017 12:25 am

loveGIANT wrote:Ranked xD
I just started playing ranked today and i record my journey from (hopefully) bottom to top on YouTube. It's obvious that there are killers out there who destory me and u get better over time, but i think it's really frustrating for newer players. Even if they just play friendly games, the chance that they get destroyed and give up on the game is pretty high, i fear. Maybe that'll get better with a peak in players when the mobile version comes out.

Well, ranked is the top players' playground, and I think it's good that you have a place to go to when you want to know what your newest deck is *really* worth. If anything, I get annoyed at players using tier 1 decks in places like friendlies or freerolls.

loveGIANT wrote:I'd really love to see a more personalized profile sheet. If u click on your profile in-game u only see your level and what u get when u reach the next level.

Go to your friend list. The stats listed there before you click on any of your friends are your own. Not much there, either, but you have your level, rank and trial win average. Clicking on one of your friends will display their respective stats, and gives you options to chat with them, challenge them or watch their current game. The last one is pretty neat, I should use it more often myself.

loveGIANT wrote:Also a way to add someone as a friend after a game would be a nice option.

Um... friends list again? You should of course remember the player's name.
Maraut

Postby Echopirate » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:51 pm

loveGIANT wrote:Let's see
What do you like so far. What do you dislike?
Little side-note: I'm level 11 and recorded my rank journey today and i faced "An Album" which, after a look into tis forum revealed why he destroyed me that easily. Looks like a slight match-making issue, not sure how u'd fix something like that though.

Found this amusing because I had a similar experience. I played Trials 2 days ago and my first match ended up being Drygord, who is a Masters champion. Knowing my chances to win dropped significantly, it was still a decent and fun match, and I ended up making a new friend from it :) Was it worth it? 100%. So sometimes, it works out, but keep improving your decks in the mean time and good luck.
Echopirate

Postby Sasuga » Fri Mar 31, 2017 3:48 pm

DISLIKES
The wait time for Trials is very long.
This is of course is related to how many players are also playing Trials at the time... but with long wait times, it makes me not want to play Trials, which then I suspect other players don't want to play Trials for the same reason, and thus we have a compounding/self-fulling problem.

There aren't enough quests.
- I would like to see more quests, they help me to feel like I'm achieving something even though I'm not really. I love the feeling I get when I finish a quest, even a common quest... And while I could spend hours just playing quick matches, playing hours of quick matches and then being awarded a prize for a quest on-top of that gives me little bursts of endorphins. I'm aware of the mechanic, how fake it is, that I'm not actually achieving anything (as with most games) but it doesn't change the fact that finishing quests makes me feel good. - I want more quests. :P :D

I'm not rewarded for waiting in queue.
Related to the first mention: I waited for over 10 minutes in queue for Trials one time, and over 6 minutes in queue for trials many, many times before just giving up. I've also waited in queue for long lengths of time for friendly matches and for ranked matches. - I once played a game, I can't recall which, that rewarded players for waiting in queue. I would like to see that. Each second I wait in queue should be a gold. If I wait 6 minutes, that's like 400 gold. Not a big prize, though more then I could earn from winning a match in 6 minutes, but also not a tiny prize. - The effect would be that players waiting in queue a long time would feel fine with it, since they're getting rewarded for waiting, thus they don't mind waiting, but also that more people would be likely to queue up and wait longer, until eventually the wait times are so short that people might earn only 3 gold or none at all queuing up, but at least they got a match!

I don' t like that they changed haunt to only trigger once.
Loops are bad, really bad, especially in a computer game (as opposed to a table top one where ... well, they're bad there too). Now maybe I'm missing something, but the loops I've seen for Haunt involve cards triggering off each other. They could have changed the cards that trigger off each other by giving them a key word, and then making it so they can't be attached to each other. So, you can't attach a Haunt to a Haunt, or another card that triggers like Haunt to Haunt, or Haunt to another card that triggers like Haunt. Basically, any card that can create a loop could get a key word to block it from having another card that creates the loop from being attached to it. - This way, I could still attach haunt to something that could be triggered 10 times in a turn, and completely screw my opponent for using that card if I wanted to, or be screwed if I'm the one who has that card.

I get why they made it only trigger once per turn, but I really wish they'd have looked deeper and gone about it another way.

I Don't Like How Tiny The Cards Get When There's Lots Of Them*
Its not a big deal in player vs player matches, since the timer usually ends the game before you get really big lines of zombies or automatons on the field, but I still wish the board would break the front line (and be able to break the support line) in half after a certain point in order to keep the card images visible. Just have two, or three, of five front lines... Just denote that there's a front line and a support line by the line between them, maybe make that line extra visible when the front line gets broken in two to make it super clear that everything in front of that line is 'front line'. Maybe even stack cards that are identical, and put a multiplication number or something next to the stack to show how many.

I really like the gameplay. I've played many card games in my life, both offline and online. Magic:TG of course, Legend of the Five Rings, 7th Sea, The Star Trek one, Battletech, Heroes of the Multiverse, The World of Warcarft Card Game and many more that I just don't have room to list... I've played a lot of different card games, many collectible, and others that are deck building etc.

I got out of Magic because of its monetary cost, and also due to the way I had to keep up with card values and such for trade (or I could have stopped trading altogether). When our roof leaked and mold grew in our closet and ate my Magic cards, that really ended it for me.

Skipping over several other card games, I eventually started taking Legend of the Five Rings kinda seriously, and started playing that. Now its dead, and I've still got a bunch of cards sitting in my closet that I can't bring myself to throw out, but might get eaten by mold one day, or eventually I will throw them out... they're just taking up space.

I decided I no longer want to collect anything that's paper, card board, card stock, plastic, etc. I want to strip my place down and only have furniture and electronics. No more paper, paper free! No more clutter! - Well, I'm working on it, I can't bring myself to part with some of my possessions, like roleplaying books autographed by the authors or famous folks, and those L5R cards are still sitting in my closet (I might dump them right after posting this)... But, I've stopped buying anything that could clutter up my place. I'm going digital, and I love digital. Its easier to carry, easier to work with for me, and there's no arguing over the rules with people I'm playing with (like I've had with Magic, L5R, and Warhammer 40,000, and other games). The computer arbitrates, that's it. - If its bugged, its bugged, report it and get it fixed, but there's no arguing over the rules.

No Arguing Over The Rules
I just mentioned it, I might as well list it. There's no arguing over the rules during a match. Things are what they are. It is what it is. It might be broken, might need fixed, but there's no human judgement call being made on the spot that could screw me out of a win because the judge doesn't like the way I look, or because they do like how my opponent looks or argues their case. (I once lost a $100 prize because the judge decided in favor of his buddy for something that EVERYONE else there felt was totally wrong and that the rule should have gone in my favor. But, the judge not caring about his popularity with the 8 other participants in the tournament, ruled in favor of his friend and I didn't get my $100 prize. - None of that will happen here, the game could bug out but human emotions don't factor into it.)

Unlimited Tokens/Cards-On-The-Table*
I never really liked the Harthstone aesthetics, but stopped playing Hearthstone because they limited the number of cards/tokens you could have on the field at any one time.

I played other games, one that I can't recall the name to but cycled through cards automatically and played them from left to right or whatever, but didn't like the game mechanics of that game.

I really like that I can have an unlimited number of Zombies on the field up against a player with an unlimited number of Automatons, and one of us will either pull out a 'bomb' to gain the advantage, run out of deck, or run out of time... I like that as an option. I have a gazillion automatons on the field!? I'm going to destroy you! Oh wait, you have a gazillion zombies!? Well, you better have that card that destroys all creatures on the field then!

I like how the Aspect Level & Mana work, I prefer it over other games that have a single resource, or ones like MTG where you might have two red mana out, but two creatures that each require two red mana, so you can only play one of the two red creatures. - I feel it makes the game play smoother the way it is, faster and smoother. It allows for a player to play multiple aspects with some risk, and reward, and it doesn't bog things down too much when you only draw a single blue for 20 cards, but you're holding onto cards that require blue... etc. It is a good system, the levels and mana, I love it. (I'll admit, during the tutorial I thought it was dumb, but as soon as I understood you could play multi-colored/multi-aspect decks, and the repercussions of the level system, I loved it!)

I Like How Each Aspect Has A Theme
I don't know how they do it, but I like how the aspects have themes that give them each a different flavor. I hope what doesn't happen, is what happens in other games, where the different factions start to merge and all become so similar that they all 'taste' the same.

One thing I hope they have is a list of "Specializes" and "Banned/Never-Has" for each aspect. Like, "Corruption never has life regain/healing" for example. There should never be a pure zombie deck that allows the player to win with 40 health. I like that Vampires are not in the corruption deck, well done!

L5R for a long time had their factions each have different flavors, but then they added in cards that allowed the faction that dishonors (honor being like your life, but only one of multiple ways to win) the ability to gain honor themselves. Next thing that happened, the dishonorable faction that has no honor, suddenly was winning by getting max honor (I think 40 honor). Essentially all these criminals were becoming shining examples of humanity some how. - The faction should have never been able to win with honor, and they definitely shouldn't have been able to do it better than the faction that originally had the flavor of winning that way! (Because there was a faction that was geared to winning with honor already.) - They turned the game upside down and upset a lot of players (including me).

If its not there already, I hope they set up a set of rules for what factions may NEVER have, and what they specialize in (meaning they're the only one that gets that sort of ability).

I like the distinct flavors, please keep them!

=-=-=-=

I feel like I have more, but I've put a lot here already. I'm going to give this part of my mind a break, and go and play some Spellweaver instead of talking about it. :P :D
Sasuga

Postby ivko » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:57 pm

Sasuga, huge thanks for the huuuge post. I have some high quality reading material :)

I haven't read through all of it yet, but about Haunt - it was changed because of a 3-card game winning combo. If you use Parallel Evolution, you can turn an opponent's creature into for example Ancestors Guide, then play Haunt on it. From there you get an infinite loop when any creature dies, and win the game by reaching 40 life (after some decent amount of clicking...)
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby Lightstream » Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:52 am

Sasuga wrote:I don' t like that they changed haunt to only trigger once.
Loops are bad, really bad, especially in a computer game (as opposed to a table top one where ... well, they're bad there too). Now maybe I'm missing something, but the loops I've seen for Haunt involve cards triggering off each other. They could have changed the cards that trigger off each other by giving them a key word, and then making it so they can't be attached to each other. So, you can't attach a Haunt to a Haunt, or another card that triggers like Haunt to Haunt, or Haunt to another card that triggers like Haunt. Basically, any card that can create a loop could get a key word to block it from having another card that creates the loop from being attached to it. - This way, I could still attach haunt to something that could be triggered 10 times in a turn, and completely screw my opponent for using that card if I wanted to, or be screwed if I'm the one who has that card.

I get why they made it only trigger once per turn, but I really wish they'd have looked deeper and gone about it another way.

Haunt stacking was not the concern. The issue was your opponent having a creature that has a trigger effect when a creature dies or when a creature enters your field. You attach haunt to it, then start the chain by having a creature die/play a creature. The opponent's creature triggers, and then haunt triggers because of that, summoning an enchained soul. That enchained soul (because it entered your field or by using it's effect to sacrifice it) then triggers your opponent's creature again, which triggers haunt, summoning another enchained soul, and the process repeats until you win with 40 life.

So it's not 10 times, but unlimited number of times. And now that parallel evolution exists, you can force on your opponent the creature that causes the combo, so it's no longer just about "punishing" your opponent for playing a specific card.
Lightstream

Postby Rinriet » Sat May 20, 2017 10:57 am

Hi all.

I started playing like a month ago, I'm level 19 or so. I still didn't played ranked or draft, but I have things to say!

First an introduction:

I played Carte (the best CCG of all times imho). When it died, I played Duel of Champions (liked the mechanics but leaved after a while). Last month I wanted to play, and discovered it was dead too, so I googled like crazy all the TCG/CCG games. I watched videos, and read opinions. Faeria and Spellweaver were finalists, but Faeria had randomness HS-like. And here I am.
Also, half of my friends play MTG, but I heavily dislike the mechanics.

What do I like?

-How multicolor decks works. The mana/level system is very good. There are a lot of possible combinations and viable decks. This is one thing that I love.

-Speed mechanic.

-Quests and level rewards. Sense of progression, and with 1-2 hours every 2-3 days you can get some cards. I don't have to log in every day in order to not lose gold log-in. I can have a break and have a nice week-end and more quests will be waiting for me. I don't know how long can it take to make high level decks, but I can get fun improving decks.

-Playstyle in general.

-From what I read, new cards are done slowly. I mean, you could keep the pace, and the game won't be a Play/Pay2Win.

-Some cards uniqueness and interesting abilities.

-Game is fluid to play.

-Variety of tournaments in prices/names.

What do I dislike?

Part 1: things I don't like and can be changed

-Until I got used, I hated the board opening and closing for every battle. Now my brain just ignores that.

-Crafting system is boring: Unbind all, end. In Carte I had fun disenchanting cards into materials (rarity, type, faction, episode) and having to collect the ones i needed. Randomness in disenchanting was sometimes frustrating, but also fun, and it gave OH YES moments.

-A bunch of things that I moved to the "want to see" section.

Part 2: things I don't/didn't like and won't be changed (but I still write them).

-Combat phase. The thing I mostly dislike of MTG is the "my creatures attack, then you select defenders". SW is much much better because it allows you to select creatures to attack. But I like the partial combat phase of Carte and DoC, when you can attack with one creature, then rival selects defenders, then you cast spells or play creatures, then attack again, etc.

-Flying, support and reach mechanics. A creature that can't be attacked by most creatures is unhealthy imo (aka why I hate MTG). We already have speed mechanic (and it works quite nice).

-Some removal is cheap and there are too much removal options. It's like nearly every faction has single target and area removal for free. Edit: I looked at all the cards and maybe there isn't THAT much. It's just a feeling (I am looking at you Noxious Fumes).

-There are some cards that I believe are a little bit strong, or bad designed. But as a new player I should eat my thoughs until I have more experience with all cards.

-Absence of spell queue. This is weird, and I got killed a few times with a Touch of Light/Ambush Strike in my hand. Then I got used to it and it's fine.

Why do I keep playing?

-Simple: The effort of developers. The patches improve the game, and it feels it's alive. In other similar games, patches are only new cards, here is better. I don't know, things like adding mechanics to Pegasus or Flamerune Warrior (I searched for old patches because I like to read them) makes me happy. The curiosity of how the game it's going to be improved it's a strong feeling. I believe that with some changes to get more players, the game can go big. Keep the good work.

-A modernization of the main lobby. I (repeat, I) like the current lobby because it remembers me of Heroes of Might and Magic, but it isn't very attractive if you want to get more players.
Quick brainstorm of things I'd like to see in the lobby:
·friendlier event notifications and menus;
·chat system (for start even automated messages pressing 1/2/3/4/5 would be nice (gl hf, wow, wp, wtf, etc));
·use of 16:9 not 4:3;
·map with missions in an alternate tab (like deck building) and
·main lobby showing NEWS: it'd be so nice if when you get into the game you visually see the live part of the game: updates, builds of the month
·better deck selection window, current one gives too much importance at hero's portrait, it'd better if more information could be easily visualizated (shrine colors, quantity of cards, etc) for all decks made, not only the selected one.
·marketplace and collection are good
·in collection a filter for mana cost and level requirement (now there are few cards and you memorize them all, but it'd be nice)

-A game/combat mechanics tutorial. REALLY. If SW was my first card game, I'd give up at the very start. It took me a while while suiciding and doing stupid things vs AI to really get the game's flow. The current tutorial was half boring, half confusing. This can be improved by a single text-guide in-game explaining buttons, combat damage distribution in specific cases like ranged+deadly, trials and draft explanations, and those little things. Also, the forum's thread "unexpected mechanics" should have an actualized FAQ or something.

-I'd like to see more color dependant abilities. Example: swift mechanic is red-exclusive, with 2-3 green cards. That's good, becauses it strengthens the definition of a faction. I someday a new set of cards is launched, I'd like to see a new mechanic for each faction (or reusing some uncommon ones like stupefy for yellow or unblockable for green).

-I don't know if there is any, but an official SW streaming of finals would be nice. Is there are cool multimedia things, they may be highlighted and linked in-game :)

If you decide to leave the game for any reason, share it.

If someday I leave the game, It will be a combination of:
-I feel guilty for playing videogames instead of studying/writing.
-I leave the momentum while grinding quests for a while and then forget about the game existence.
-I find a new better tcg by accident (EG: if Carte would be back).
-I don't see chance to improve without putting too much time/money into it.
-I'm playing too much LoL and forget about the world.

-Good. I don't like crafting system and it seems a little bit expensive, but there are quite few cards in the game right now so it's good.

-If in the future more cards are added to the game (like 100-200 more), crafting rates should be improved to allow players to get to specific competitive decks/cards easier. Now you can get a lot of copies with random boosters because the total pool is small.

-One thing that I don't fully get is why most tournaments can incurr in a gold loss. As a new player, I don't want to play because I know I'll probably play 1-2 hours and lose cards (gold). I know there is freeroll and pre Lv19, but most of the days I am like "Hey it sounds like fun, but I should invest my gold in boosters, not throwing it in tournament losses". Maybe there can be simultaneous tournaments of the same type, one with low rewards and no currency punishment if you complete it, and other with high rewards but non-profitable if you lose too much. That way players who want ACTION! and BETS! can get satisfied and also players who want a sure reward for their time spent into the game can have FUN!

Final comments

It took me some hours to write this. I opened the game and tried to remember my opinions, searched for cards. Also English is my second language so I had to search for some specific words.

I hope at least you have a good time reading :P
Last edited by Rinriet on Sat May 20, 2017 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rinriet

PreviousNext

Return to Feedback and Suggestions