The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Please fix Sanctum of the Void

The game's community balance team discusses card changes here.

Please fix Sanctum of the Void

Postby Glizdka » Mon Apr 02, 2018 4:53 pm

Could we please do something about this card? I'm quite sure everyone agrees it's too strong.
It's low mana, low cooldown, infinite removal. Making it more expensive or more requiring would probably make it unplayable and I know it's not good for it, but leaving it be makes it hardly any fair.

So here's my idea: limit its usefulness and make it less requiring
Here, fixed, still works as intended, a cheap removal, but you can't remove anything good with it (goodbye killing 4 level 6 mana legendaries with one, stupid, overpowered shrine)
Glizdka

Re: Please fix Sanctum of the Void

Postby Ravignir » Mon Apr 02, 2018 6:32 pm

No, just don't make more unplayable cards. and there are no 4 level 6 mana creatures.
Polish forum moderator
SW player since summer '15|One Turn Decks devoted - I had over 30 different OTK decks in DoC|Former DoC player - DoC Print & Play version - Click! - enjoy!
Ravignir

Postby J_BYYX » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:16 pm

This shrine is only good against small boards. If you play against aggro and other decks that can place multiple creatures each turn this skill does almost nothing.

With your suggested change it would only work against decks it's already bad.
Memes and spoilers guy
J_BYYX

Postby jotto » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:40 pm

The card is very good but it is in an aspect with no way of increasing hand size, as a result they are given slow, "infinite" value engines, try using sanctum against an aggro deck, you will die as the shrine is very slow to set up and often will sac a 1/1 token they got for free of something else.

This is an example of a card that when you lose to it, it looks insane but you don't notice when it isn't doing much.
jotto

Postby An Albun » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:14 pm

Its fine, don't change it.

All things spellweaver: http://www.spellweaverdb.com
An Albun

Postby ivko » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:07 am

It's one of those cards that can be devastating, but are quite situational.

The card is of course 100% fine, but I get the notion that having a lot of such cards in Spellweaver has turned off a lot of people. If you have a deck that gets destroyed by Sanctum, and you are meeting the card everywhere it can be rough times... and from your point of view it is obviously OP.

Anyway, we are not changing the card, it is properly balanced for competitive. Remember when the cooldown was 2? I believe this was back in the closed beta so not many people saw it.
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby Lord_Xenon » Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:27 am

This skill shrine can be countered in many ways. Alexa's militia skill, dominion slave production, nature's limited life and drone production all easy counters to this. To get real value out of this, a huge setup is needed(aka removal of cheap targets) or turn passed. And seriously, when you play as long to let it fire more than 3 times, then you are in a war about resources.
Lord_Xenon

Postby Ravignir » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:14 am

I kinda see what Glizdka has on mind. Maybe balance here is just too sharp? Too many hard counters? Playing Spellweaver is pretty much like playing rock-paper-scissors. Cards are either sh**y or OP depending on matchup (except the cards that are always good and always bad).

That's the problem of each MTG like game without sideboarding.

Commons are bad
Uncommons are mostly playable
Rares are situational/good
Epic/Heroic are situational/good, pretty much always a core cards and always the cards you build your deck around.
Polish forum moderator
SW player since summer '15|One Turn Decks devoted - I had over 30 different OTK decks in DoC|Former DoC player - DoC Print & Play version - Click! - enjoy!
Ravignir

Postby freebie » Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:28 pm

Lol. It is probably the strongest skill - non ramp - shrine (I am lazy to check list). I did feel the same when I was venturing my first steps into the game. Sanctum was coming back so fast :(. To be honest if recharge turn goes up by one I woudln't mind. Was afraid to mention it because, ivko might decided its good idea :twisted:.
freebie

Postby Devirk » Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:09 pm

the sheer fact that your opponent chooses a creature that's goona die to this effect is enough to make it balanced. 3 levels is also a huge requirement. About 13% of all cards require 3 or more levels (that's including hero and shrine powers but excluding additional effects of cards that you can play w/ less level i.e. Khar or Prin'ha). And although I would agree that alongside Catherdral of the Night it's the strongest skill shrine in game (maybe thanks to it's versatility - the only time this skill is useless is when your opp has no creatures on the board) I don't fell it needs a nerf.
R.I.P. Duel of Champions [*]
you can find me on Youtube!
Devirk

Return to Balance Team Discussion