The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Merchant of Boredom

The game's community balance team discusses card changes here.

Re: Merchant of Boredom

Postby Zadorec » Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:26 pm

ivko wrote:@Everyone, the problem I see among all of you testing is that it is quite hard to get extra energy for Merchant. Is this correct?

I assumed that playing a more aggro-ish deck can get you extra energy for Merchant just by losing 1-2 creatures in an attack.

I will definitely try to come up with a tweaked version or reconsider the one I already posted. We don't have a lot of time left for testing, because I want to make the changes on Tuesday before Masters. So we will probably go with "gut feeling" here, but I will post what I have in mind, so we can see whether it has any apparent problems at least in theory!

Sometimes you can't lose any creatures any way, and even when you can, usually there is a way of handling the situation when you don't have to lose any, so then what is the point of having to kill your own creature, just to bring it back?

With the gain energy on lost life one we would get a second card that actually has some kind of synergy with tainted, tainted wouldn't just be there for the sake of "well Idk, all new cards has it".
It could be made to be able to return one 2 level 2 mana card of the tainted life loss, I think it would be balanced. Bringing back 2+ mana creatures would be harder, but mostly you could bring back at least a 2 mana one.
So for example:
3/4 >>>
Starting energy: 0
Gain 1 energy for each life lost. Pay 1 mana to activate power.
Tainted 3 hp loss could bring back a 2 mana creature.
Losing more hp would allow to bring back more expensive 2 level creatures, but they are underplayed anyway, so why not.
Without Tainted with a 2 HP loss hero power would give 2 energy, so you still could bring back an 1 mana creature (for example with Coronis hero power).
Zadorec

Postby ivko » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:13 pm

Game update is tomorrow, and we don't have the time to tweak Merchant at this point. So it will have to remain the way it was now.

Also changing the texts suddenly became a big problem, because localization studio we were using went out of business. How does one find a GOOD localization company which won't announce it is shutting down out of nowhere?
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby Zadorec » Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:32 pm

ivko wrote:Game update is tomorrow, and we don't have the time to tweak Merchant at this point. So it will have to remain the way it was now.

Also changing the texts suddenly became a big problem, because localization studio we were using went out of business. How does one find a GOOD localization company which won't announce it is shutting down out of nowhere?

That's fine.
I think this whole localising thing isn't too important, most of the players play on english, I remember it was 80% or so.
It means a lot more work than it brings to the table.
Zadorec

Postby Cruel_TeK » Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:46 pm

bump - will this get a buff?
Cruel_TeK

Postby Cruel_TeK » Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Cruel_TeK wrote:bump - will this get a buff?

BUMP
Cruel_TeK

Postby Jeronimo » Fri Apr 27, 2018 11:40 pm

Maybe ivko got bored about Merchant of Boredom. :)
I want to suggest logical buffs for 2 cards, so they get more play on competitive scene.

Shrieking Banshee: Change in text non-Summoned for non-Spirit, so Banshee cannot cycle souls giving infinite souls.
The nerf she received due the old OTH Fairy combo was so exagerated it destroyed the card.

Merchant of Souls: Start with 4 energy, so Merchant can compete vs Harbinger of Sorrows for the board control.
In its first version the creature was [2 energy/0 activation], but after adding activation cost 1 without raising his initial energy, his value as card totally dropped.
What Merchant should give you is at least 2 creatures of cost 1, this basic purpose/role is similar to Harbinger's which summons 2 souls (or more) when enters the field.
Jeronimo

Postby Cruel_TeK » Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:32 pm

lol, didnt even know he needs to pay now. so hes even worse than i thought. what a fucking joke. black gets a 3 mana 2/4! with flying extra bodies in a archetype that gains life ...so the tainted is totaly nonexistant, whereas red gets a piece of shit four mane 3/2 that dies to any old fart.

its a travesty. up the fricking stats
Cruel_TeK

Postby Zadorec » Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:51 pm

How about making Enchained Souls non-flying?
I mean they are awfully fckin annoying for a creature that can be summoned hundreds of, with very little effort.
At Harbinger the 2 souls are harder to deal with than the main body...
It wouldn't be a nightmare to play against Haunt as well, if thoose Souls wouldn't be untouchable.
Zadorec

Postby Ravignir » Sun Apr 29, 2018 8:50 am

+1000000
Polish forum moderator
SW player since summer '15|One Turn Decks devoted - I had over 30 different OTK decks in DoC|Former DoC player - DoC Print & Play version - Click! - enjoy!
Ravignir

Postby Lord_Xenon » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:22 am

Souls non-flying? Nonsense.
100 of them? Doesn't matter. You can only block with them when they are able to block, therefore you need boardpresence. Either having the same amount of non-slaves or an anti-slave concept.
Lord_Xenon

PreviousNext

Return to Balance Team Discussion