The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

German Localization Fixes Thread (Coordinator VitamineC)

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Re: German Localization Fixes Thread (Coordinator VitamineC)

Postby VitamineC » Sun Mar 20, 2016 5:25 pm

Spruchweber wrote:G25 Cancel Block --> "Blocken abbrechen" in G23 it is also refered as "Blocken"

Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:G65 --> "...aber können nicht am Kampf teilhaben." i think "teilnehmen" has a more active meaning than "teilhaben"

You're right. Changed to "teilnehmen" in all strings.

Spruchweber wrote:G77 Ambush Strike --> "Überraschungsangriff"; when the elves are part of one of the good aspects than "hinterhältig" does not seem to fit because it has a too neagtive meaning

Ambush does mean Hinterhalt. Still a valid suggestion. I'd like more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:G78 Ambushing Sharpshooter - Hinterhältiger Scharfschütze --> "Lauernder Scharfschütze" same as G77

Again, valid suggestions. I'd like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:G89 Bloodseeking Mutant - Blut suchender Mutant --> "Blut gierender Mutant" or "Nach Blut gierender Mutant" in my opinon "suchend" is too harmless because he actually kills stuff and grows bigger by the death of others (G948 G949 )

I think "blutsuchender" is finde. Still valid suggestion. I'd like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:G125 Dreyla, Ruthless Oppressor - Dreyla, Skrupellose Unterdrückerin --> "Rücksichtslose/Skrupelose Schinderin" She interacts with creature and lets them die for her, no caring about them, it would also give a sadistic tone

"Unterdrückerin" is the literal translation and packs enough of a negative connotation as it is.

Spruchweber wrote:G128 Elderly Wizard - Betagter Zauberer --> "Älterer Zauberer" I don´t know this card but "betagt" is pjerorative. Does elderly mean wise ?

Elderly has a negative connotation. You could describe it as "not in his prime". It doesn't imply wisdom in any way. Otherwise it would be "elder".

Spruchweber wrote:G150 Flash of Delirium - Augenblick des Deliriums –> "Wahnhafter Anfall" or "Anfall von Wahnsinn" i think this sounds better than "Augenblick"

Valid suggestion. I'd like more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:G152 Flesh Sculptor - Fleischformerin -->"Fleischhauer" like "Bildhauer" as sculptor in German

"Fleischhauer" loses any form of implied intricacy and could just as well describe someone who aimlessly pounds away at heaps of flesh. I don't think it fits.

Spruchweber wrote:G154 Forcemage Protector - Beschützender Kraftmagier --> "Kraftmagie Beschützer" maybe there will be other "Forcemage xxx" in the future ?

I don't know about this one. He still is a "Forcemage" not a "Forcemagic X". New "Forcemage X" cards could be named similarly to this one.

Spruchweber wrote:G155 Forcewielder - Kraftschwingerin --> "Verteilerin der Kraft/Macht" i think this fits the function of her to recharge other cards with energy

Valid suggestion. I'm not really content with the current name myself. More suggestions are welcome.

Spruchweber wrote:G168 Grand Reunion - Große Wiedervereinigung ---> "Prächtige / Bedeutende Zusammenkunft" "groß" is an understatement if this card could win you the game

I think "groß" is fine. Other german terms often feel bloated. I'll definitely leave it as "WIedervereinigung" so it fits with the lore.

Spruchweber wrote:G191 Ka'ainu, Edge of the Spear - Ka'ainu, Spitze des Speers –> "..., Schneide des Speres" maybe closer to the original

I think in this case it doesn't have to be 100% the same as the original. "Spitze" is the most common term used in conjunction with "spear". Still, more opinions are welcome.

Spruchweber wrote:G207 Metabolic Overcharger - Metabolischer Überlader --> "Überhöhter/ Verstärkter Metabolismus" for me "Überlader" in Germand sounds a bit odd

Your suggestion changes the meaning. It's a device/artifact that overcharges the metabolism and doesn't refer to the metabolism itsself.

Spruchweber wrote:G231 Pacify - Beschwichtigen --> "Befrieden" i think this is stronger and also has "Frieden" (peace - pacify) in it

This one was suggested early in the translation. I really think the more passive "beschwichtigen" fits the passive nature of the card effect and the artwork more.

Spruchweber wrote:G232 Path to Transcendence - Pfad zur Transzendenz --> "Pfad zur Erleuchtung" maybe this is more widley used (also G970)

"Transzendenz" is a perfectly fine word. I see no need to change this.

Spruchweber wrote:G249 Ruination - Ruinierung -->"Ruin" i think this is enough

The problem with generic terms like this is that "Ruin" just might be the name for another card in the future. I think staying as close as possible to the original is the best way to go in these cases.

Spruchweber wrote:G272 Sunrise Faerie - Sonnenaufgangsfee –> "Fee des Sonnenafugangs" because then the genitive construction is consistent with "Fee der Stürme" (Storm Faerie)

I don't think consistency is particularly important in this. I'll consider changing one of the two.

Spruchweber wrote:G274 Temptress of Deceit - Hinterlistige Verführerin --> "Verführerische Täuscherin" i think these are better translations for "Temptress" and "deceit"

Valid suggestion. I'd like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:G304 Zash the Annihilator Zash, der Vernichter --> in other cards with "xxx the yyy" there is no comma, should be consistent

You're right. I corrected this.

Spruchweber wrote:G385 From the Scorched Mountains to the Plains of Divinity, they roam the skies in search of trade and exploration.- Von den versengten Bergen bis zu den Ebenen der Göttlichkeit durchstreifen sie die Himmel auf der Suche nach Handel und Entdeckung --> "Entdeckungen" plural sounds better

I personally like "Entdeckung" (as in the concept of exploration) more. More opinions are welcome.

Spruchweber wrote:G394 "Didn't like that guy anyway." - „Ich mochte den Kerl sowieso nicht.“ --> "Den Kerl konnte ich eh nie leiden" by putting "Kerl" at the beginning it emphasises the picture of the card, where "that guy" is going to be killed

There's no emphasis on "this guy" in the english version either and in my opinion the current version has a nicer flow to it than your suggestion. I don't think this needs to be changed.

Spruchweber wrote:G277 The Grand Institute - Das große Institut --> "Das Große Institut" i believe this is an proper name (Eigenname) and "groß" should be written with capital G (like "Der Rote Baron")

Your right. This has been changed.

Spruchweber wrote:G399 "I do not believe in bluffing." - Skatador, Power Mage „Ich glaube nicht ans Bluffen.“ - Skatador, Machtmagier --> "Ich ziehe es vor nicht zu bluffen" maybe too colloquial for an aristocrat like Skatador ( Is he an aristocratß)

"Ich ziehe es vor nicht zu bluffen" sounds too tame in my opinion. It sounds like he would bluff sometimes, which isn't really reflected in the original.

Spruchweber wrote:G405 The most curious creatures inhabit the buildings of the Academy. - Die sonderbarsten Wesen bewohnen die Gebäude der Akademie. --> "neugierigsten Wesen" curiosity leads to new ideas aka cards

Sadly this play on words is lost in the german translation. I prefer "sonderbar" because it emphasizes the "uniqueness" of creatures who are at home at the academy. "Neugierig" could just as well refer to an ordinary cat.

Spruchweber wrote:G406 Djinns weren't born to fight... They just picked up a few things during the last few thousand years. -->
"Die Djinn(s)" i think an article is necessary here

I don't like the article in a broad statement like this. You wouldn't say "Die Vögel können fliegen.", either.

Spruchweber wrote:G408 Born of fear, forged of steel. - Geboren aus Angst, geschmiedet aus Stahl. --> "Geboren aus Schrecken" This fits better with the card name "Schreckensritter" (or was it put this way because "Schrecken" should not to be repeated)

"Angst" feels more ominous and scary. "Schrecken" sounds like someone scared him out of his mother.

Spruchweber wrote:G440 "Our faith is strong enough to guide their fleeting souls back among us."- „Unser Glaube ist stark genug, um ihre flüchtigen Seelen zu uns zurückzubringen.“ --> "zurückzugeleiten/zurückzuführen" better translation for "to guide"

I like this one. I changed it to "geleiten".

Spruchweber wrote:G437 Sometimes you just need brute strength in heavy armor. Manchmal braucht man einfach rohe Kraft in schwerer Rüstung. --> "braucht es" i would avoid using "man" for written text

Since the flavour texts aren't all that formal, I think "man" fits the flavour of this one best.

Spruchweber wrote:G442 Always on duty, never off guard. - Immer im Einsatz, niemals Unvorbereitet --> "unvorbereitet"

Due to another suggestion I already changed this to "Immer bereit, niemals unachtsam.".

Spruchweber wrote:G459 "Gather round and listen..." „Kommt her und hört zu...“ --> "Kommt zusammen/Versammelt euch und lauscht" the first one sounds like a command of a captain and not the words of a storyteller

I kind of got the Decard Cain vibe from this. I would like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:G465 Its smell alone is enough to make you sick. Allein sein Gestank reicht, um dich krank zu machen. --> "reicht aus"

Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:G473 "Nothing is happening? Just shut up and observe carefully!" - Rysha the Heartless
„Es passiert nichts? Halt einfach die Klappe und die Augen offen!“ - Rysha die Herzlose --> "Sei still und schaue zu" Is Rysha doing the summoning of the dead and tells her companion to watch as the spell goes off or are the two at the tombs and watch out for the undead ? I think this is not clear.

It's probably Rysha that is doing the summoning. I changed it to „Nichts passiert? Sei einfach still und sieh genau hin!“.

Spruchweber wrote:G517 Divine Offering Göttliche Opfergabe --> "Opfer" in C2 it is also translated as "Opfer"

Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:G525 Discard a card at random. Wirf eine zufällige Karte ab. --> "zufällig ausgewählte" would be clearer

I think the former is perfectly clear.

Spruchweber wrote:G526 Select a creature to deal damage to. - Wähle eine Kreatur, um Schaden zuzufügen. --> "..., um ihr Schaden zuzufügen" something was missing

Fixed. These short prompt text when targeting and triggering effects can be a little tricky regarding the use of articles.

Spruchweber wrote:G584 Lose 2 life... Zahle 2 Gesundheit... --> "Verliere 2 Gesundheit" Are the health points part of the cost or part of the effect? In the latter case "verlieren" is correct.

Since there is no ":" it's part of the effect. I changed it to "verliere".

Spruchweber wrote:G597 Tempting Lure - Verlockung –> "verlockender Köder" now "lure" is also translated

"Köder" makes it sound a little too much like you're dealing with animals, which isn't very fitting when stealing a Karthas. I would consider changing it to something like "Verlockendes Angebot", but I would like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:G834 "... return it to its owner's hand unless you pay <Mana:1>" - "gib ihn auf die Hand seines Besitzers zurück" --> "bringe ihn" wrong word see also G847

"return to hand" is always translated with "auf die Hand zurückgeben" (at least it should be).

Spruchweber wrote:G887 Select any number of targets. - Wähle beliebige Anzahl an Zielen. --> "eine beliebige Anzahl" the article needs to be there

This is one of those shortened prompts, which pop up when an effect is triggered. I think they do work without the article (see G888 "Wähle Ziel"). Another opinion on this would be nice.

Spruchweber wrote:G901 Select a card to put it on the top of the deck. Wähle eine Karte zum aufs Deck legen. --> "...Karte, die auf das Deck gelegt wird." too colloquial

Again one of those short prompts. I've changed it to "Wähle eine Karte und lege sie auf das Deck." for now, but that might be a little long.

Spruchweber wrote:G955 Flameborn Incarnate's ATK and HP... - ANG und LP der Flammenborn-Inkarnation.. --> "Flammengeborenen" consistent translation

Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:G964 ... from your graveyard to your hand. - ...von deinem Friedhof zurück auf die Hand nehmen. --> "deine Hand" clarifies which hand is meant

Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:G969 Put a creature you control under Path. Lege eine Kreatur, die du kontrollierst, unter Pfad. --> "den Pfad"

Card names are always treated as names and therefore used without the article in this translation. (See: Feuerball fügt.... not Der Feuerball fügt....)

Spruchweber wrote:G992 Elder Red Dragon - Roter Drachenältester --> "Älterer Rote Drache" Is it a dragon elder like "Nicol Bolas" in MtG or just a very old, powerful dragon ? (see also G1014)

I'm not sure on this one. A clarification from ivko would be nice. "Älterer Roter Drache" is definitely the safer bet and I'll most likely change it to that.

Spruchweber wrote:G1016 At the end of your turn, destroy Flame Serpent. Am Ende deines Zuges, zerstöre Flammenschlange. --> "sacrifice - opfere" ? Does it really mean destroy? If there will be anything that prevents destruction in the future the serpent could be made persistent? Is this intended?

With the last patch several sacrifice effects were changed to destroy effects (like all the totems). I will stay true to the english version and use "zerstöre".

Spruchweber wrote:W5 1 Trial Ticket - 1 Prüfungs-Ticket --> "Ticket für die Prüfungen" This is really odd. The word should not be separated (zum Beispiel "Austeritätspolitik" und nicht "Austeritäts Politik")

I think this might be an old string that's not used anymore. I changed it just to be safe.

Spruchweber wrote:W91 ...making use of the Energy ressource - ... um ihre Energie-Ressource zu nutzen --> " die Energieressource zu nutzen" this is a wrong translation. i think the descrition text of the deck refers to the mechanic of "energy emblems" and not the energy of the cards.

The whole description sounds a little clunky. I'll rework it tomorrow.

Spruchweber wrote:W126 Trials Prize 0 Prüfungs Preis 0 --> "Prüfungsbelohnung, Belohung für das Bestehen" same as W5 (also C300)

You're right. I changed Prüfungs Preis to Prüfungsbelohnung in all strings.

Spruchweber wrote:W141 Basic Tutorial - Basis-Tutorial --> "Grundlagen Tutorial"

That sounds better. Changed to "Grundlagen-Tutorial".

Spruchweber wrote:W161 The Great Foundry - Die große Gießerei --> "Die Große Gießerei" Eigenname

Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:W174 Mines of Plenty - Reichhaltige Minen --> "Minen des Überfluss" "reichhaltig" seems out of place for an proper name

Valid suggestion. I'd like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:W253 Release Silver Package - Veröffentlichungs-Silberpackung --> "Silberpackung zur Veröffentlichung" same as W5

I hyphenated this to make it easier to read. Is this really just wrong?

Spruchweber wrote:W265 Wis-Dom Control - Weis-Herr-Control --> ??? i get the intention for the name of the deck archetype but it does not translate very well in German. i believe the englisch terms will become accepted as it is in MtG

I don't know about this one. It looks a little silly but that might just because we're not used to it. I'd like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:C5 The crafting discount has expired. Prices are back to normal! - Der Herstellrabatt is abgelaufen. Preise sind wieder nomal! --> "Der Rabbat für die Herstellung ist abgelaufen" letter missing, better reading

Fixed the missing letter. I actually like "Herstellrabatt" more. It's not as bloated.

Spruchweber wrote:C46 Spellweaver - Spellweaver --> "Zauberweber/Spruchweber" ;-)

Since the name of the game is still Spellweaver in german, I changed all the "Zauberweber" in the translation back to "Spellweaver" to make it more consistent. I really dislike translating this term.

Spruchweber wrote:C79 ...designated target. ... ernanntes Ziel." --> "vorgesehenes/prädestiniertes Ziel" "ernannt" reads odd

They all sound a little forced imo. I'd like some more opinions on this.

Spruchweber wrote:C299 ...The prize depends on the number ... - ...Der Preis hängt von der Anzahl der Siege ab... --> "Die Belohnung hängt..." it might be that the meaning of "Preis" is confused with that of "Kosten" (cost)

You're right. I changed it to "Belohnung".

Spruchweber wrote:C357 The amount of damage this creature can take before it dies. - Die Menge an Schaden, die diese Kreatur einstecken kann, bevor sie stirbt. --> "Die Menge an Schaden, der dieser Kreatur zugefügt werden muss, damit sie stirbt" sounds more technically

I agree. Changed to "Die Menge an Schaden, die dieser Kreatur zugefügt werden muss, um sie zu töten."

Spruchweber wrote:C533 ...Ivians are holy and faithful people... - ... Ivianer sind heilige und gläubige Leute ... --> "ein heiliges und gläubiges Volk" "Leute" is maybe too colloquial

You're right. Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:C545 Prize Structure - Preisstruktur --> "Belohnungsstruktur" to avoid confusion with "Preis" meaning "Kosten" (cost)

I don't think there's any potential for confusion here. This is the button on the leaderboard.

Spruchweber wrote:C686 Once attacked, a creature is locked in combat, and can no longer be used as a blocker - Sobald eine Kreatur angegriffen wurde, ist sie im Kampf verwickelt und kann nicht mehr zum Blocken genutzt werden. --> "ist sie in einen Kampf verwickelt"

I think "im Kampf" is fine. I'd rather translate it with "in diesem" than "in einem".

Spruchweber wrote:U202 Claimed! - Abgeholt! --> "Beansprucht!" oder "Erreicht!" "abholen" rather means to pick something/someone up

I'll have to check where exactly this string is displayed, before I decide.

Spruchweber wrote:U301 3x Random Epic Cards 3x Zufällige epische Karten --> "zufällige"

Fixed.

Spruchweber wrote:U306 Unlock 2 Starter Decks - 2 Starter-Decks frei --> "Schalte 2 Starter Decks frei" unlock is not translated

This and the string afterwards form one sentence (they're used on the beginner package page).

Spruchweber wrote:U373 Estimated tournament duration; tournaments usually take less than the estimated time to complete. -
Geschätzte Turnierdauer; Turniere sind normalerweise weniger lange als vorher geschätzt. --> "Turniere sind normalerweise kürzer..."

I agree. Fixed.

U381 Prizes Preise --> "Belohungen" i think it would be better to clarify the meaning[/quote]
I think it's pretty clear in this case. The prizes are displayed together with the respective requirements. Also the entry fee is "Anmeldegebühr", so it's clearly distinguished.
Your friendly neighborhood forum moderator
Filthy spammer vermin exterminated: 892
VitamineC

Postby Talaris » Tue Mar 22, 2016 2:59 am

Still sick, so could not read the translation list yet. =/

Trying to give 2 cents @cards in here that you are looking for suggestions / optionions.:

(also, disclaimer: To get a fantasy feeling I think it's a good idea to go with words that might sound abit oldschool to kids, but actually just aren't an anglicism, but the actual german word that most parents or grandparants used - or perhaps to avoid the negative connotation of parents: that fantasy/medieval RPGs would use)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

@Ambush
If you dont want less negative meaning, you could go with "Überfall"

@Ambushing Sharpshooter
Lauernder Scharfschütze sounds great. (too bad it does not fit well with Ambushing strike)

@Blood seeking
I have to admit, for me the term "suchen" never crossed my mind, I was always thinking about it being a "Bluthungriger Vampir". At least that's the use vampire literature uses it...
(in normal all-day german, I'd compare it to pleasure-seeking = vergnügungssüchtig/vergnügunshungrig )
I think that would describe the urge to get blood in abit dark tone that Spruchweber meant as well.
Blutsuchen sounds too much like a criminal case, if you allow the vast exaggeration.

@Elderly
Thanks for pointing out this difference - learnt something :)

@Flash of Delirium
Both suggestions from Spruchweber are alot more fitting imho.
Especially as "ticks" from e.g. epileptics are called flashes as well, so the "Anfall" depicts alot better than Augenblick that you cant do anything against it.

@Flesh Scupltor
Fleischhauer is more poetic, but I agree with VitamineC here, the tie to Bildhauer gets lost too easily and Fleischformerin is correct as well and fits the actual image better.

@Forcemage
Hard one, especially as I have to admit that I'd have gone with Machtmagie. That sounds alot like it's about gaining and using an abstract concept (Macht), Kraft (while correct also) sounds like its used more often to describe physical demonstrations of the same concept. Perhaps thats my RPG background though, a magic school "Macht" sounds more flavorful than "Kraft".
(and I think with Forcemage a school of magic is meant - in contrast to, e.g. the Fire mage that red has)

The question of Machtmagie Beschützer or vice versa is the same if you use Elf Krieger or Elfischer Krieger, I guess (?). For the sake fo consistency, I'd keep them the same.

@Forcewielder:
see my suggestion for forcemage, Verteilerin der Macht sounds good.

@Grand Reunion:
Considering that it's mostly a Druidic Circle and beasts of the forest and magical creatures of the forest that are meeting up, I'd go with the old (and perhaps feeling bloated) version of "Zusammenkunft", too. (btw, the movie Highlander used this term even in 1986, "just" 30 years ago *lol*))
I have to admit that I did not find any lore about the GR, so I just interpreted the card effect and picture. If there is lore that there was a Reunion earlier, I guess go with the old one.

@Ka ainu
Schneide is technically correct for edge, but haven't ever read that word in conjunction with a spear either.
Speerspitze fits alot better imho, especially as it also hints at the military term (which would be vanguard in english again), which seems to be his role.

@Pacify:
Sorry to bring up another one (coming from a parent):
How about beruhigen ?
It works with babies getting a pacifier ... :D
Joke aside, for me "Beschwichtigen" already sounds abit bloated to me, Befrieden even more so.

@transcendence:
I know wrote that you are set, but let please add a small essay:
"Erleuchtung" was used from monk in the middle-ages and it especially is linked to the "göttliche Erleuchtung" (which fits the lore of Order with their closeness to angels perfectly), while Transcendenz was started to be used by philosophers in the 19th century and most commonly describes a term to cross the borders of the mind.
So, as ivko and co used transcendence in english, it would be technically correct to use Transzendenz (as Erleuchtung would rather be Enlightenment), but then again, they translated from bulgarian to english first, so perhaps the meaning got lost there.
More fitting to the lore of Order would be Erleuchtung.

(your call of course, just trying to give an argument, especially as you mentioned alot that you try to make it fit with the lore :) )

@Ruinierung:
Not sure how it is in Germany, but I never heard of that use in the CH.
Is there anything against "Zerstörung" ?
I can just think of the similarity to "Destruction", bu if we ever get such a card you can still go with Vernichtung (small scale) or Verwüstung(large scale) for Destruction.

@Temptress:
Verfuehrerische Taeuscherin.

@G437:
"...braucht es..." instead of ...(man...) is better form.

@G459:
phew, hard one.
Spruchweber's version got more flair. I never played Diablo in german, so I don't the reference (but would get Cain's english line: "stay awhile and listen")
Your call if you think its culturally impactful enough.
If not, the suggestion is great speech for a taleweaver.

@G525
The old one is superior for me - there is no "auswählen" if you have to do it "zufällig". Semantics, but if it's about gametext, there is no freedom.

@G587:
Verlockender Köder woudl be fine in an RPG context, you even use stuff like "ein köderndes Angebot" or "Kundenfang" in modern german.
I'm sceptical though as it's Despinas Hero Ability and in that context "Verlockung" is alot more fitting as she is the one doing it. I.e. verlockender Köder sounds more like an Item...
Hard call, I think I'd go with Verlockung due to it fitting the game mechanice alot better even though the other version is the superior translation.

@G901:
If space is a concern for those shrot prompts, how about not going with the direct grammatical translation, but restructuring the sentence. E.g.:
Lege eine ausgewählte Karte aufs Deck.
"Only" saved 4 characters, but that way the short version w/o an article works abit better, too (imho)
Lege ausgewählte Karte aufs Deck.

@W91:
Suggestion: (tried to avoid a 3rd Nebensatz to make it read less clunky)
"Mache gegnerische Kreaturen mit billigen Zaubern wirkungslos, während du Karten mittels der Energie-Ressource auflädst. Falls du gegnerischen Angriffen standhalten kannst, ist der Sieg garantiert."

@W174:
Minen des Überfluss' sounds more like a proper name.

@W265.
English names might be used by the community, but in Magic it was still translatedto german and is the official naming. So we should do it as well, let the comm decide what they use ;)
Also it should stay coherent that the Aspect names and those are german atm. Too late to change the whole lot for little gain, would have been possible in November.
That said, if Wei-Herr looks goofy, are you allowed to change it to "Wei / Herr" ?
Looks better anyways, imho.
(also the wordplay just accidentally works in that example; Wis - Nat would sound goofy as well ;)

@c79:
Sorry to bring in a 3rd version: "gekennzeichnetes Ziel".
I think that fits the idea of "THIS IS A SPECIAL TARGET, YOU BETTER WATCH OUT" best, while not sounding clunky. Especially as "to expressly designate something" means "etwas ausdrücklich kennzeichnen", which is what the card actually instructs you to do.

@c686:
"..in diesen Kampf... " , unless you need to shorten. Then the original one.

--------------------------------------------------------
Whew, what a long list.

Also, got 1 new one right out my head (need to look up numbers, but there are multiple occurences):

Djinn ?
It's Dschinn nowadys, I blame the "Rechtschreibreform" for destroying the old form. :evil:
Talaris

Postby VitamineC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:45 am

Talaris wrote:@Ambush
If you dont want less negative meaning, you could go with "Überfall"
@Ambushing Sharpshooter
Lauernder Scharfschütze sounds great. (too bad it does not fit well with Ambushing strike)

I'll probably go with "Lauernder Scharfschütze" and "Hinterhalt" or "Überfall". I don't think it's necessary that these two sound alike.

Talaris wrote:@Blood seeking
I have to admit, for me the term "suchen" never crossed my mind, I was always thinking about it being a "Bluthungriger Vampir". At least that's the use vampire literature uses it...
(in normal all-day german, I'd compare it to pleasure-seeking = vergnügungssüchtig/vergnügunshungrig )
I think that would describe the urge to get blood in abit dark tone that Spruchweber meant as well.
Blutsuchen sounds too much like a criminal case, if you allow the vast exaggeration.

Yeah, "blutsuchend" sounds weak. I'll go with "bluthungrig". The chance of getting a "bloodhungry Mutant" in addtion to the current mutant is rather low.

Talaris wrote:@Flash of Delirium
Both suggestions from Spruchweber are alot more fitting imho.
Especially as "ticks" from e.g. epileptics are called flashes as well, so the "Anfall" depicts alot better than Augenblick that you cant do anything against it.

Changed to Spruchweber's "Wahnhafter Anfall". I really like that one, now that I thought about it.

Talaris wrote:@Forcemage
Hard one, especially as I have to admit that I'd have gone with Machtmagie. That sounds alot like it's about gaining and using an abstract concept (Macht), Kraft (while correct also) sounds like its used more often to describe physical demonstrations of the same concept. Perhaps thats my RPG background though, a magic school "Macht" sounds more flavorful than "Kraft".
(and I think with Forcemage a school of magic is meant - in contrast to, e.g. the Fire mage that red has)

"Machtmagie" already exists as a school of magic in dominion (see Skatador Powermage) and is a lot more fitting for that aspect. Also I think the physical force is what's meant with forcemagic. He creates a forcefield around the target as a shield.

Talaris wrote:@Forcewielder:
see my suggestion for forcemage, Verteilerin der Macht sounds good.

What do you think about "Kraftverteilerin"?

Talaris wrote:@Grand Reunion:
Considering that it's mostly a Druidic Circle and beasts of the forest and magical creatures of the forest that are meeting up, I'd go with the old (and perhaps feeling bloated) version of "Zusammenkunft", too. (btw, the movie Highlander used this term even in 1986, "just" 30 years ago *lol*))
I have to admit that I did not find any lore about the GR, so I just interpreted the card effect and picture. If there is lore that there was a Reunion earlier, I guess go with the old one.

I'll ask ivko about the lore and decide then.

Talaris wrote:@Pacify:
Sorry to bring up another one (coming from a parent):
How about beruhigen ?
It works with babies getting a pacifier ... :D
Joke aside, for me "Beschwichtigen" already sounds abit bloated to me, Befrieden even more so.

I think sounding a bit bloated isn't a problem for an order card. With cards like "Hüterin der Gläubigen" and "Strahl der Rechtschaffenheit" "Beschwichtigen" fits right in.

Talaris wrote:@transcendence:
I know wrote that you are set, but let please add a small essay:
"Erleuchtung" was used from monk in the middle-ages and it especially is linked to the "göttliche Erleuchtung" (which fits the lore of Order with their closeness to angels perfectly), while Transcendenz was started to be used by philosophers in the 19th century and most commonly describes a term to cross the borders of the mind.
So, as ivko and co used transcendence in english, it would be technically correct to use Transzendenz (as Erleuchtung would rather be Enlightenment), but then again, they translated from bulgarian to english first, so perhaps the meaning got lost there.
(your call of course, just trying to give an argument, especially as you mentioned alot that you try to make it fit with the lore :) )

In a toss up like this I'll go with the one that sounds better, which I think is Transzendenz. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but "Transzendenz" means that you overcome the boundries of the physical realm and could also refer to fighting prowess, while "Erleuchtung" is purely spiritual. With the fairly militaristic nature of the order aspect, I think the former is more fitting.

Talaris wrote:@Ruinierung:
Not sure how it is in Germany, but I never heard of that use in the CH.
Is there anything against "Zerstörung" ?
I can just think of the similarity to "Destruction", bu if we ever get such a card you can still go with Vernichtung (small scale) or Verwüstung(large scale) for Destruction.

I like to stay close to the original with such generic terms. Also "Ruinierung" is somewhat of a play on words considering the card's flavour text (destroying buildings instead of walking around them).

Talaris wrote:@Temptress:
Verfuehrerische Taeuscherin.

What about "Täuschende Verführerin"? That would be closer to the original.

Talaris wrote:@G437:
"...braucht es..." instead of ...(man...) is better form.

I guess I'm overruled on this one. Changed to "es".

Talaris wrote:@G459:
phew, hard one.
Spruchweber's version got more flair. I never played Diablo in german, so I don't the reference (but would get Cain's english line: "stay awhile and listen")
Your call if you think its culturally impactful enough.
If not, the suggestion is great speech for a taleweaver.

It's probably not the right place to be influenced by Diablo nostalgia. Changed to "Kommt herbei und lauscht...".

Talaris wrote:@G525
The old one is superior for me - there is no "auswählen" if you have to do it "zufällig". Semantics, but if it's about gametext, there is no freedom.

The original "Discard a card at random." doesn't include "targeted", so I won't include it in the german version.

Talaris wrote:@G901:
If space is a concern for those shrot prompts, how about not going with the direct grammatical translation, but restructuring the sentence. E.g.:
Lege eine ausgewählte Karte aufs Deck.
"Only" saved 4 characters, but that way the short version w/o an article works abit better, too (imho)
Lege ausgewählte Karte aufs Deck.

Changed to "Wähle eine Karte und lege sie auf das Deck.". Should look good in game.

Talaris wrote:@W91:
Suggestion: (tried to avoid a 3rd Nebensatz to make it read less clunky)
"Mache gegnerische Kreaturen mit billigen Zaubern wirkungslos, während du Karten mittels der Energie-Ressource auflädst. Falls du gegnerischen Angriffen standhalten kannst, ist der Sieg garantiert."
Changed to "Setze gegnerische Kreaturen mit billigen Zaubern außer Kraft und lade Karten auf, um ihre Energie-Ressource zu nutzen. Falls du gegnerischen Angriffen standhalten kannst, ist der Sieg garantiert.".

Talaris wrote:@W174:
Minen des Überfluss' sounds more like a proper name.

Changed to "Minen des Überflusses".

Talaris wrote:@W265.
English names might be used by the community, but in Magic it was still translatedto german and is the official naming. So we should do it as well, let the comm decide what they use ;)
Also it should stay coherent that the Aspect names and those are german atm. Too late to change the whole lot for little gain, would have been possible in November.
That said, if Wei-Herr looks goofy, are you allowed to change it to "Wei / Herr" ?
Looks better anyways, imho.
(also the wordplay just accidentally works in that example; Wis - Nat would sound goofy as well ;)

I agree. I'll leave it as it is.

Talaris wrote:@c79:
Sorry to bring in a 3rd version: "gekennzeichnetes Ziel".
I think that fits the idea of "THIS IS A SPECIAL TARGET, YOU BETTER WATCH OUT" best, while not sounding clunky. Especially as "to expressly designate something" means "etwas ausdrücklich kennzeichnen", which is what the card actually instructs you to do.

I like this one. Changed to "gekennzeichnetes Ziel". I also brought the whole description a bit more in line with the style of the rest of the game.

Talaris wrote:Djinn ?
It's Dschinn nowadys, I blame the "Rechtschreibreform" for destroying the old form. :evil:

I hate "Dschinn". But the Duden doesn't list "Djinn" anymore so I guess I'll have to change it.
VitamineC

Postby VitamineC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 1:05 pm

I'd like a last bit of feedback on a few things:

1. Steam and deck descriptions (strings W89 and following and C1261 and following)
2. The "s" issue. Herrschaft-Schrein or Herrschafts-Schrein? (same for Weisheit and Ordnung)
3. decay: "verderbte" Karten or "verdorbene" Karten? The former is Altdeutsch and especially refers to morals etc. Is this term too unkown?
3. Concept & Design, lead Programmer etc.:
Does this have to be translated? And if so, does anyone know the usual german terms?
4. Conquest, Singlegame, Best-of-Three:
Are the german versions of these terms usually used or should I just leave the english versions?

Edit:
After speaking to ivko, here are some recent changes and one new name that needs to be made:
"Antriel, Patronin der Sonnengesegneten" exceeds the character limit. Which of the new options would you guys prefer (with a german translation of course)?
ivko wrote:Sadly there's no workaround, and in my opinion her name looks terrible in the reduced font. I would leave her as "Antriel, Patron of the Sun", "Antriel, Patron of the Blessed", or "Antriel the Sunblessed".

1. Ambush:
"Hinterhältiger Angriff" is now called "Hinterhalt"
2. Ambushing Sharpshooter
"Hinterhältiger Scharfschütze" is now called "Lauernder Scharfschütze"
3. Grand Reunion
Stays as Große Wiederverinigung
ivko wrote:This refers to the grand moment in the future of the Nature tribes, where they reunite again after being separated because of abyss and the invasion.

4. Elder Red Dragon
"Roter Drachenältester" and "Älterer Roter Drache" both don't really work, because he's neither the elder of the red dragons nor the red one of the dragon elders. New suggestions are welcome.
ivko wrote:no to both, it's a red dragon which is one of the elder (i.e. ancient) ones

5. Valiant Dawn
"Mutige Dämmerung" is now called "Heldenhaftes Erwachen".
VitamineC

Postby ivko » Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:21 pm

I'd just like to add that Lead Programmer and the like need to be translated.

We'll make a version in 2-3 hours which will contain all changes up to now for testing. It is still not late to make changes, but we'd like to finish everything by the end of the month (in one week), close this page and turn our attention to the next features on our roadmap.

Thanks to everyone for the help!
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby VitamineC » Wed Mar 23, 2016 6:41 pm

I already fixed various typos and consistency mistakes in the turorial and reported a few bugs regarding cut off text and issues with the font of the buttons.
VitamineC

Postby Talaris » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:34 am

Okay, first batch. (strings W89 and following - cant do c1261 and following until tomorrow)

Will do 2 categories

1) Major Stuff, which should be fixed imho

2) Minor stuff, which is clunky wording or uncertain stuff, that you should look into, if you got the time.
If there is not much time left, it could be dropped as well, though.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1) Major Stuff:

W111:
Either "erhält man ... aus 5 Packungen" oder "beinhalten 5 Packungen 2 seltene Karten ..etc."

W138 an W139
It's incoherent. I'd go with either Gold-Kartenrücken and Platin-Kartenrücken oder Goldener Kartenrücken and Platinfarbener Kartenrücken.

W215:
"Rätselhafte Kiste" should be "Rätsel-Kiste", both is clunky though, imho.
Why not use Wundertüte or Überraschunskiste to describe the effect ?

W264:
Raging flames = Lohe. Not sure if it's used in Germany though.
Lodernde Flammen would be more of a fantasy tone, either.

W267:
Raider is Plünderer.
Räuber is more of a bandit.

W274 and W275:
You switched the column.
6-Monats-Goldpaket should be 6-Monats-Silberpaket and vice versa

C5 - How did you translate Crafting again?
Herstellrabatt sounds strange unless it's "Herstell".
If it's Herstellung I'd go with Herstellungs-Rabatt.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minor Stuff

W93:
I think there might be comma missing between "...haben" and "mitzuhalten."

W95:
Die Untoten mögen langsam sein, aber sie schlagen hart zu. [Währendessen] zwingst du den gegnerischen Helden, Karten abzuwerfen und Kreaturen zu opfern. Deine riesigen Endgame Kreaturen besiegeln deinen Sieg.

W97: awesome translation, better than the original !

W113: Even though in english there is a different wording, I'd use the same translation for the chance to get an epic card that you use in W115 and W117 as well.

W155 and W 117: I'd use a hyphen like the english version does:
"...der guten Aspekte - Ordnun, ..."

W119:
shorter/more lean: "Tickets können anstatt Gold genutzt werden, einem Turnier beizutreten."

W140 (and others):
I guess you are going to stick with the anglicism Tutorial ? Technically it should be Anleitung or Lernprogramm - or if you wan to keep an academic tone, Tutorium.
I'm aware that ppl are used to that term by now as it's widely used in games, but you also translated Booster which ppl are used to as well...

W177: Even though it sounds infantile, I think "Stinkstadt" fits alot better. Stench is a really strong word, Gosse does not bear that weight.

W198:
not sure, should there be a comma after "Berechtigung" ?
Talaris

Postby LakaiScorten » Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:53 am

Looked into it up until line 430, added comments.
LakaiScorten

Postby raz0r » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:24 am

Hi guys,
My name is Ivan, and am part of the Spellweaver team and i'm currently working on the translations.

I have added in the Google Docs table the latest texts for translation(W277-W322, C1283-C1292, U450). They include some missed texts that weren't set for translation earlier as well as few new ones. Also we have added the separate texts for quests that have number count in them for the cases of 2,3 and 4 that are used in some languages. For those i have used the existing translations with plural forms, so you don't need to translate them again, you can just check if I've missed something.

If you manage to translate the texts by the end of the day, we will be able to include them in the patch we plan to release tomorrow. Otherwise we will probably make another version by the end of the week or the begging of the next one, so any remaining new translations or changes in the existing translations will be included in it and we'll generally finalize the German translation at this point.
raz0r

Previous

Return to Community Translation