The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Fixing the Localization Disaster (DE, FR, PL, ES)

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Re: Fixing the Localization Disaster (DE, FR, PL, BR, ES)

Postby ivko » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:06 am

IMPORTANT UPDATE:

We will be able to put the localization tables online for you to edit on Monday evening (European Time). This will let us include text length restrictions and the text that were omitted, allowing us fix all issues at once.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby M0rw47h » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:18 am

ivko wrote:Ravignir, I see that you corrected A LOT of problems, and I know it must have been a lot of work.

However you also introduced some inconsistencies. For example "pole bitwy" is used in a couple of places, where the term used everywhere else is "stol". Also there's this text for Advanced Ne'eva:

"Do końca tury: Stworzenia kosztują cię <Mana:1> pkt. many mniej, ale nie mniej niż <Mana:1> pkt. many. Za każdym razem, gdy zagrasz stworzenie, dobierz kartę."

We never put "until end of turn:" like that at the start of a power or skill, the : symbol is reserved for costs. It should be integrated in the skill's text.

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. The initial plan was to put the translation tables online and let everyone edit them. I think I'm going to stick to that, and let you and the rest of the community apply your changes in the Google Document.

The more people will work on translation, the more inconsistences you will have. People have different habits when it comes to card games. For people like me, who played Magic the Gathering for more than 10 years, translating "field" into "stół" (table) is really weird move, especially when Spellweaver uses field, which isn't much different than current MtG wording for it (battlefield = "pole bitwy"). Same as for me translating "Zombie" is close to unacceptable since this term is well known in our language already, reminds me horrible translation of Hobbit into "Niziołek" (Halfling) ;s

What is more, current PL translation, same as orginal EN version doesn't use "target", however it makes many translations sound silly, especially when those cards require target to choose upon casting.

In my opinion you should pick one person for each translation (there isn't much stuff to translate so far) and make him or her responsible for it. Once its ready, consult new translation with community and either accept it or not.
IGN: Morwath
known also as L4m4B4l0n1k
M0rw47h

Postby Ravignir » Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:36 am

M0rw47h wrote:
ivko wrote:Ravignir, I see that you corrected A LOT of problems, and I know it must have been a lot of work.

However you also introduced some inconsistencies. For example "pole bitwy" is used in a couple of places, where the term used everywhere else is "stol". Also there's this text for Advanced Ne'eva:

"Do końca tury: Stworzenia kosztują cię <Mana:1> pkt. many mniej, ale nie mniej niż <Mana:1> pkt. many. Za każdym razem, gdy zagrasz stworzenie, dobierz kartę."

We never put "until end of turn:" like that at the start of a power or skill, the : symbol is reserved for costs. It should be integrated in the skill's text.

I'm not entirely sure how to proceed. The initial plan was to put the translation tables online and let everyone edit them. I think I'm going to stick to that, and let you and the rest of the community apply your changes in the Google Document.

The more people will work on translation, the more inconsistences you will have. People have different habits when it comes to card games. For people like me, who played Magic the Gathering for more than 10 years, translating "field" into "stół" (table) is really weird move, especially when Spellweaver uses field, which isn't much different than current MtG wording for it (battlefield = "pole bitwy"). Same as for me translating "Zombie" is close to unacceptable since this term is well known in our language already, reminds me horrible translation of Hobbit into "Niziołek" (Halfling) ;s

What is more, current PL translation, same as orginal EN version doesn't use "target", however it makes many translations sound silly, especially when those cards require target to choose upon casting.

In my opinion you should pick one person for each translation (there isn't much stuff to translate so far) and make him or her responsible for it. Once its ready, consult new translation with community and either accept it or not.

I am here to offer my services :)
Polish forum moderator
SW player since summer '15|One Turn Decks devoted - I had over 30 different OTK decks in DoC|Former DoC player - DoC Print & Play version - Click! - enjoy!
Ravignir

Postby VitamineC » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:03 am

I am also a bit concerned about the translations being accessible by everyone. In the beta the player base was quite a bit smaller and very few people payed attention to the translation. But now having anyone contribute could actually prove to be a problem.

In my opinion new translation teams should be formed for all the languages (probably with most of the old members) and only those people should be able to change anything in the google docs. While more opinions are always welcome, the group of people having the final word should be relatively small to ensure consistency.
Your friendly neighborhood forum moderator
Filthy spammer vermin exterminated: 892
VitamineC

Postby ivko » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:12 pm

Okay guys, you do have a point.

I'll make a separate topic for each language tomorrow then, and I will appoint a coordinator for each language who will have the right to share access to the files, and have the final word on translations.
ivko

Postby ivko » Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I made new threads for DE, FR and PL, please check there to see the localization files. We decided to have a single person edit the file to maintain consistency.

We are currently looking for that guy for the Polish language :)

Thank you!
ivko

Re: Fixing the Localization Disaster (DE, FR, PL, ES)

Postby ChemE » Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:53 pm

New russian translation is almost perfect now. Thanks to Gri and Ivko. But there are some untranslated texts in Russian (I believe, untranslated in any other languages too).

What I found:

Quests rarity on map are untranslated: "Common Quest", "Uncommon Quest", etc.

During crafting:
texts like "150 Shrines/Copy", "30 Shrines/Copy" under arrows
text like "You will craft Темный портал cards for 150 Corruption Shrines", "You will unbind Темный портал cards for 30 Corruption Shrines"

In Fame window:
"Your Current Level"
"Level" (twice)
"Unlock Title"

In Collection:

"Quick search"

On shrines:
"LEVEL", "OR", "MANA", "GAIN SKILL"

On winscreen (after battle):

"Gold", "Fame". I saw "Слава" for a second, and then it was exchanged with "Fame".

Almost all tooltips during battle: phases, heroes health, buttons and so on.

Button "back" (after you press Shrine Conversion)
www.TCGO.ru – русскоязычный сайт о Spellweaver и других цифровых ККИ (Russian site about Spellweaver and other digital TCGs).
ChemE

Postby VitamineC » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:12 pm

I can confirm that the things ChemE lists are untranslated in german as well.
Your friendly neighborhood forum moderator
Filthy spammer vermin exterminated: 892
VitamineC

Postby Tooms » Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Yup (confirmed in french as well obviously).
Tooms

Postby Oxygen » Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:21 pm

When I learned about your decision I was a bit disappointed - tooms and aurayol did an excellent job translating into french despite not being professional translators (whereas I am, but I couldn't put nearly as much time as they did) and invested a lot of time into this. As you seem to know, the french version provided by whatever company you used is a complete travesty. However, I can understand your point of view regarding the lifelong support of the game. Still, perhaps you should have asked the community translators about their commitment levels before doing this. If you really want lifetime support, at least for french, you could probably pay me a fraction of what you've paid those guys and what an actual translation may be worth; I love the game and want to support it in any way I can, and some form of contract would be beneficial for you as well. Anyway, food for thoughts...
Oxygen

PreviousNext

Return to Community Translation