The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

French translation quirks and issues

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Re: French translation quirks and issues

Postby Tooms » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:15 am

Cynoid wrote:My 2 cents (not in order) :

Gonna need all your cents I'm afraid ;p

Cynoid wrote:- Ancient Treant : Oh god, that pun is SO bad. Please, do not include it. No, really.

Oh come oooon, really :D ? It's supposed to be bad, it's a pun made by gibo and roni! Can you honestly say tree-ants is a pun of a higher caliber? I mean, if you can come up with a better one, I'll take it.

Cynoid wrote:- Incarnate translation : I actually like better the actual ones (beside "Lueur de Rune incarnée", because, I mean, what?), but it's up for debate I suppose.

I dont know, while it sort of works for some the "xxx incarnée", it feels awkward for the others. Hence me trying to find a simpler approach. But yeah, up for debate.

Cynoid wrote:- Angelic Song : Technically speaking, they are right about the "Au début de votre tour". If you manage to avoid having the Angelic Song sacrifice itself the turn after it is played (which could be possible with others extension), their text becomes more accurate. And accuracy should be valued other clarity in rules text.

I see your point, although wether you can prevent its sacrifice the turn after it is played or not, the trigger always happens at the start of the next turn regardless. Not really a big deal, I'm fine either way.
Tooms

Postby Cynoid » Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:48 am

Cynoid wrote:
- Ancient Treant : Oh god, that pun is SO bad. Please, do not include it. No, really.

Oh come oooon, really :D ? It's supposed to be bad, it's a pun made by gibo and roni! Can you honestly say tree-ants is a pun of a higher caliber? I mean, if you can come up with a better one, I'll take it.

A slightly better way of punning it would be : < "D'après Roni, 'Salut vieille branche' les met 'Tréant' colère... " - Gibo > as it at least acknowledge how bad the pun is (Lampshade Hanging, that kind of stuff...)
Cynoid

Postby Dejh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:19 pm

Hello,

I tried the french translation and I have a few remarks.

The serious ones are about the new cards with "channeling", both Elinor and the Emissary have:
"vous pouvez utiliser l'énergie d'Elinor/de l'Emissaire élu du soleil à payer pour le coût de mana";
it should be "vous pouvez utiliser l'énergie d'Elinor pour payer le coût de mana"
Same with the Emissary: "vous pouvez utiliser l'énergie de l'Emissaire élu du soleil pour payer le coût de mana" etc

Now onto the nitpicking, those are not as akward as the channeling's wording:

Demon portal reads "Vos cartes de Démon coutent 1 de moins à jouer": "Vos cartes de type Démon" would be better (EDIT)

The name of advanced Despina's ability is slightly over the generic level requirement (very minor thing)

On the login screen, "adresse email du compte" is too long, you should cut it to "adresse email" as currently we can't read "du compte" at all and it doesn't matter anyway.

In the marketplace, "Obtenir or" and "Obtenir cristaux" on the left should be "Obtenir de l'or" et "Obtenir des cristaux", I'm not sure if there is enough place for it though, not really important but a bit clunky nonetheless.
You can forget it if there is not enough place.

Finally, in the main menu, "convertir la clef" should be "convertif une clef", since there are different keys and we don't know which one "la" ("the" in english) is refering to.

That's all, pretty good job overall, if my fellow frenchmen want to discuss something feel free to do so as I am not perfect and only wish for the game to improve.
Last edited by Dejh on Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dejh

Postby ivko » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:20 pm

Thanks Dejh, I will be sure to fix the issues you found!
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby Tocran » Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:40 pm

be sure not to forget circumflex accents :

coût and not cout
coûtent and not coutent
Tocran

Postby Dejh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 4:58 pm

Tocran wrote:be sure not to forget circumflex accents :

coût and not cout
coûtent and not coutent

Totally forgot about them, thanks for pointing it out !

ivko wrote:Thanks Dejh, I will be sure to fix the issues you found!

Happy to help !
Dejh

Postby Tocran » Fri Jul 15, 2016 5:06 pm

Par ailleurs, je ne suis pas sûr que Démon s'accorde.

On parle sous-entendu de cartes "de type untel", ce n'est pas un adjectif, et d'ailleurs c'est pour ça qu'on y met une majuscule.

Et attention, il n'y a pas de y à cristaux en français !
Tocran

Postby Dejh » Fri Jul 15, 2016 9:01 pm

Tocran wrote:Par ailleurs, je ne suis pas sûr que Démon s'accorde.

On parle sous-entendu de cartes "de type untel", ce n'est pas un adjectif, et d'ailleurs c'est pour ça qu'on y met une majuscule.

Et attention, il n'y a pas de y à cristaux en français !

I think you may be correct for Dark Portal, would the ideal wording then be "Vos cartes de type Démon" instead of "Vos cartes de Démon" ? Then we are stepping on MTG shoes on that one, and it adds a bit of text on an already loaded card. Maybe the original transation is fine after all.

Sorry for "cristaux", I should have proofread my post. "Obtenir des cristaux" then.

Thanks again ! Good thing I mentionned I wasn't perfect on my first post.
Dejh

Postby Lirysse » Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:14 pm

Dejh wrote:The serious ones are about the new cards with "channeling", both Elinor and the Emissary have:
"vous pouvez utiliser l'énergie d'Elinor/de l'Emissaire élu du soleil à payer pour le cout de mana";
it should be "vous pouvez utiliser l'énergie d'Elinor pour payer le cout de mana"
Same with the Emissary: "vous pouvez utiliser l'énergie de l'Emissaire élu du soleil pour payer le cout de mana" etc

I agree. The sentence is understandable but the wording is really strange.

Tocran wrote:Par ailleurs, je ne suis pas sûr que Démon s'accorde.

You're right, and it's true that "de type Démon" could be better.

Dejh wrote:In the marketplace, "Obtenir or" and "Obtenir crystaux" on the left should be "Obtenir de l'or" et "Obtenir des crystaux", I'm not sure if there is enough place for it though, not really important but a bit clunky nonetheless

I think we had indeed a place constraint (a precise maximum number of characters).
Lirysse

Postby Dejh » Sun Jul 17, 2016 9:48 pm

I have updated my first post.

Thanks again guys.
Dejh

PreviousNext

Return to Community Translation