The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Dutch translation thread

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Re: Dutch translation thread

Postby Darkman » Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:29 am

The translation to Dutch is most probably done correct for the most part but it could be that most Dutch players are not used to Dutch terms when playing card games like Spellweaver and much rather use the English version as they are used to terms like Deck, discard, excaust, etc. This probably is due to the fact that most CCG´s never had any Dutch translation and most Dutch players are well known with the English language.

I, for example, switched back to English after using the Dutch version, because the Dutch translation for some terms, although CORRECT, were just to ackward for me and therefore also quite confusing.
Darkman

Postby iLikeCookies » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:08 pm

Darkman wrote:The translation to Dutch is most probably done correct for the most part but it could be that most Dutch players are not used to Dutch terms when playing card games like Spellweaver and much rather use the English version as they are used to terms like Deck, discard, excaust, etc. This probably is due to the fact that most CCG´s never had any Dutch translation and most Dutch players are well known with the English language.

I, for example, switched back to English after using the Dutch version, because the Dutch translation for some terms, although CORRECT, were just to ackward for me and therefore also quite confusing.

hahaha yeah, I don't recommend automatically selecting the Dutch language for Dutch players. Dutch can just be... butt ugly in some cases.
iLikeCookies

Postby ivko » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:53 am

That's what I heard from other Dutch players. They say the words used in fantasy games don't have good equivalents in Dutch.

A Dutch translation was probably not needed, but there was a Dutch lady playing the game. She volunteered to do the translation and here we are :)
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby Carjan » Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:25 pm

Hm, I think it is a matter of getting used to the terms, much like Darkman said.I don't see why Dutch would not have any good equivalents. The language should be as rich as any other.

That said, with hindsight, we could have done a better job, but it was a very small team (basically Jodelien with some help of mine, when she was away).

Anyways, testing out the mobile release on iOS made me automatically select Dutch again. I found a couple of issues:

- In Order, "Touch of Light" may better be translated as "Lichtpunt". It is much shorter and better fits the flavour text.

- in Wisdom, "Flash Freeze" is probably better translated to "Flits-vries", again shorter and technically perhaps more correct. Please also replace the flavour text by "Ga even afkoelen, vriend!" which would capture the play on words a lot better!

- in Nature, "Schietloot" as the translation for "Shooting Sprout" does not make any sense whatsoever. As far as I can tell, it's not even a word and the closest word in Dutch (Schietlood) I can think of, is a tool in masonry. I' d suggest "Opschietende Scheuten". Further, there is a typo in Spore Sheperd's body text: it should say "planten" not "platen".

- In Rage, Elurak's epithet is long and a bit rough. "Erulak, Oorlogskind" is shorter and should do fine, I guess.
- Further in Rage, in Merchant of Souls's body text, the words "hebt en" in the sentence "[...] onder jouw controle dat hebt en stierf deze beurt" should not be there. It should read "[...] onder jouw controle dat stierf deze beurt."

- In Dominion, there is a classical dt-error in Siren of the Deep Sea's body text: it should read "[...] een wezen vernietigt", so with a "t" not a "d".

- In Corruption, "Bedeviled Fiend" is perhaps better translated as "Gekwelde Duivel".
Carjan

Postby ivko » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:48 pm

Thanks Carjan, I will correct those in the next version.

It's a shame, but translators have continuously failed to produce error-free translations...
ivko

Postby Carjan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 11:27 am

FInding those issues made me take another look at the rest of the cards. Here's a few more, most just minor ones:

1. Order:
- Amalric's card name should say "Amalric, Heilige Ridder" (he's a Knight, not a Warrior)

- The first option of Solemn Prayer's card text should say: "Leg een Schildembleem op elk van je Priesters op het veld" (so 'every', not 'one').
Edit: this would actually not be fully accurate either. Apologies. It should say: "Leg een Schildembleem op elke Priester onder jouw controle." (This way it is clear it is Priests you control, not Priests you own.)

- In the first sentence of Shield Bash's body text, "[...] alleen op een geallieerd aanvallend wezen" instead of "[...] alleen tegen een geallieerd aanvallend wezen" is better.

- Felix's body text can be a lot shorter: "Zolang Felix zich in de ondersteuningslinie bevindt, is hij Beschermd." (same issue as we had in the English version: Protected had become a keyword).

- Reincarnation Spirt: "Embleem van Macht", so 'macht' with a capital. This would be more consistent.

- Descendent of Divinity: its body text is slightly confusing. I think it better to say: "Goddelijke Afstammeling kan alleen als enige aanvallen of blokkeren " (instead of "individueel")

- Gomur's nickname should start with a capital ("Gomur Ijzerbaard).

2. Wisdom:
- "Sterrenregen" as translation for Astral Dive is just plain wrong (a very old error). "Astrale Duik" would be correct, assuming it should refer to the Astral Flux river taking a dive in the landscape.

- Arcadian Visionary is missing the reference to the enter the field effect. I assume the translation was done from the old, ambiguous text, which also did not explicitely state the enter the field effect, and never got updated. It should say: "Wanneer Arcadiaanse Visionair het veld betreedt, bekijk de 5 bovenste kaarten [...]".

- In the first sentence of Contraptionist's body text "Wanneer Uitvinder het veld betreedt, [...]" would be consistent with 'enter the field' translations everywhere else.

- Same for Frost Element : "Wanneer Vorst Element het veld betreedt, [...]"

- Same for Library Guards. The text uses the plural because it seems to refer to the Guards but actually refers to the card. "Wanneer Bewakers der Boeken het veld betreedt, [...]"

- In Timea's body text, it is more consistent to translate Might Emblem as "Embleem van Macht". Now it says "Machtsembleem".

- Johrail's Silencer's translation is a bit over the top... I would suggest "Johrail's Demper".

3. Nature:

- In Gurko Tribe Warrior's body text, the word "Goblin" should be translated, consistently, as "Kobold"! Moreover, it does not mention the effect ending at end of turn...! The body text should say: "Wanneer een andere Kobold het veld betreedt onder jouw controle, krijgt Gurko-stam Krijger +1 AP/+1 SP tot het einde van de beurt."

- Tidal Wave: "of vice versa", not "en vice versa"! (so 'or' not 'and')!

- The word "mana" in Ne'eva The Revered's body text is superfluous.

- Silver Fang's second name should also start with a capital: "Zilveren Hoektand".

- Unicorn: "Wanneer Vereerde Eenhoorn het veld betreedt, [...]" would again be more consistent with the translation of enter the field everywhere else.

- Same for Storm Faerie: "Wanneer Storm Fee het veld betreedt, [...]"

I'll make another post for the Evil aspects.
Last edited by Carjan on Tue Feb 27, 2018 8:43 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Carjan

Postby Carjan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:56 pm

4. Rage:

- Grulz: in the first option of his body text, Target Emblem is inconsistently translated as "Doelwitpictogram". It should be "Doelwitembleem".

- Lizard Barbarian's body text should be "[...], krijgt hij +1 AP tot het einde van de beurt". (now it says it gets the buff the next turn...)

- Goblin Anarchist should say "Kobold Anarchist", to be consistent.

- In Offering Yard Priest's body text Might Emblem should be translated to "Embleem van Macht" instead of "Machtsembleem".

- In the first sentence of Gibo and Roni's s body text "Wanneer Gibo en Roni het veld betreedt, [...]" would be consistent with 'enter the field' translations everywhere else.

- Khar's epithet should be with capitals: "Khar, de Dodelijke Vlam"

5. Dominion:

- Despina, Dominion Overlord's skill text covers the generic level icon. "Begeerlijke Lokroep" (instead of "Verleidelijke Lokroep" is two characters shorter and should fix this.

- Chalice of Yunx: "Wanneer een wezen onder uw controle sterft, [...]", instead of "doodgaat" (correct but inconsistent), would be more consistent with the translation of 'dies' everywhere else.

- Otriska: the text in the additional ability should say: "Otriska is een Schutter tot het einde van de beurt", so it is consistent with the translation for the Ranged keyword.

- Murderous Chieftain is translated slightly meekly. "Moordzuchtig Hoofdman" would be more fitting.

- In the first sentence of Dreyla's s body text "Wanneer Dreyla het veld betreedt, [...]" would be consistent with 'enter the field' translations everywhere else. Futher, it should say "[...] en kun je daar een niet-wezen-kaart uit selecteren."

- Same for Karthas: "Wanneer Heer Karthas het veld betreedt, [...]".

- Skatador's Bidding should be "Skatador's Aanbod". The body text should also refer to "Skatador's Aanbod", not to "bevel van Skatador"...

6. Corruption:

- Nightbringer is translated slightly roughly. "Nachtbrenger" would do just fine.

- Aezerhis's body text should say "[...] aan een vijandelijk(e) wezen of held.", (so 'to', not 'from').

- In the first sentence of Succubus's s body text "Wanneer Succubus het veld betreedt, [...]" would be consistent with 'enter the field' translations everywhere else.
Last edited by Carjan on Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Carjan

Postby Carjan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:14 pm

Finally ...

7. General:

- The explanation of the Legendary keyword is slightly confusing. The first sentence should say: "Iedere speler kan slechts één kopie van een Legendarische Kaart uitspelen op het speeldveld."

8. Questions regarding keywords:

I understand it is the least of your worries right now, but ...

- Why is there no keyword for "when self enters the field"? It is very common and would make many body texts quite a bit shorter and easier to read.

- Same for "when self dies" ('Death-curse' ?).

- I think a page with a list of all keywords in the game would not be a bad idea.

Edit: Yesterday and today, I have been adding a couple of more issues, in my last three posts, that I missed the day of my original posts.
Carjan

Postby ivko » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:31 pm

Okay, understood. Thanks for your effort!

About your keyword questions, well it just so happened. When we started developing Spellweaver, Hearthstone wasn't even a thing, and coming from a Magic the Gathering background I adopted their wording for triggers upon entering field / dying. In retrospect, it would have been better if we had keywords for these.
ivko

Postby Carjan » Fri Mar 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Thanks for the clarification, Ivko. You guys are working very hard! (Almost) all these translation fixes have been implemented. That said, I thought I had to mention...

- Tidal Wave did not get fixed. The card text should say "of vice versa", not "en vice versa"!

- I overlooked earlier that Steelnor Inkeeper should be translated to "Steelnor Herbergier". The word order is wrong and should be switched; now it looks as if Steelnor is the name of the inkeeper...

- I checked Dreyla again and realized that I missed earlier that Weakness Emblem in her second ability was wrongly translated. It should say "Embleem van Zwakte". (oddly enough the keyword tooltip correctly refers to "Embleem van Zwakte").

- Faeyssayan Mercenary's card text has a typo. It is missing an 'n'. It should say "Wanneer je Faessayaanse huurling opoffert, [...]"

- The last sentence of Murderous Chieftain's translation still has the old translation. Looks like this was hardcoded? It should say "Wanneer Moordzuchtig Hoofdman een wezen vernietigt, trek een kaart."

- Johrail's Silencer's has the same problem. The second sentence refers to the old translation. It should refer to "Johrail's Demper".

- Despina, Dominion Overlord's skill text still covers the generic level icon despite the now 2 characters shorter version. Seems like the font got bigger or I misjudged. If you find it worth changing again, you can try "Lieflijke Lokroep", another two characters shorter ("Lieflijk" = lovely).

- In fact, Soldier's Memorial has the same problem: "Eer der Kampioenen" should do just fine!

- I noticed that the translation of the flavor text of 'Noxious Fumes' completely missed the play on words. Again, if you find it worth changing, "Hou de adem maar in, iedereen!" should do fine.

Finally... : There are some more epithets that can be shorter or should at least have capitals:
- Felix: "Felix de Lichtgezworene"
- Saluxio: "Saluxio de Verbluffer"
- Diogen: "Diogenes, Dolende Pelgrim"
- Tren: "Tren, Berkenboswachter" (Shorter and now refers to wood as a forest, not wood as a resource).
- Melindra: "Melindra, Geestgids"
- Glydis: "Glydis de Betoverde"
- Elgaron: "Elgaron de Eeuwige"
- Prin'ha: "Prin'ha de Nachtschaduw"
- Otriska: "Otriska, Provincie-opzichter" (One character shorter and "opzichter" fits the card art better too)
More importantly, Otriska's creature type is wrong! It should simply say "Manticore"
- Jakri: "Jakri, Relschopper"
- Azerhis: "Azerhis, Brandende Kwelling" (with a comma, the 'de' is no longer needed so the epithet is now shorter)
- Rhygon: "Rhygon, Demonenvanger"

Edit: added a few, minor issues. I'll go silent now..., bar bumping into a glaring hole that was still overlooked...
Edit 2: Corrected Otriska's creature type. The old one was just wrong. It should simply say "Manticore".
Carjan

PreviousNext

Return to Community Translation