The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Dutch translation thread

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Re: Dutch translation thread

Postby Carjan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:00 am

I can't see this new tab NewTexts30.3.2016 on the Google Docs. Is the link on this page up-to-date or am I missing something? Thank you.
Carjan

Postby raz0r » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:05 pm

I've added it to the original file from the first page of the thread. I've seen that there is new file with all up to date translations.
I have added the new ones there in the existing tab.
Here's the link just in case: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 8O-Wq1jdl0
raz0r

Postby Djenin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:39 pm

Hey guys, please excuse the late response.

I haven't had much time lately, but i'll be proof-reading for the next couple of hours. I already added a few quick notes, from when i skimmed through the updated document, more to come i'm sure. :)

Oh and Carjan, nice solutions you've come up with btw! It's looking better and better.
Djenin

Postby ivko » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:48 pm

Carjan wrote:I can't see this new tab NewTexts30.3.2016 on the Google Docs. Is the link on this page up-to-date or am I missing something? Thank you.

They are in the existing file, but not at the end. There are a few texts starting at line 2648, and a single one at the end of the file.

EDIT: There are also some texts starting at line 1322, for which the translations are copied from the version we have in the game. Please have a look at them, because they are most likely using outdated translations.
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby Djenin » Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:17 pm

I'll put my responses in bold:

Carjan wrote:Hi Djenin,

Good suggestions again! As to the translations for Victory, I very much like the short "zege" for the reasons that it is very short, you can only interpret it in one way (as opposed to "winst" which can also be seen as "gain") and we can use it consistently everywhere. What do you say?

Sounds like a fine compromise!

Indeed, "Kwalificatie" does not sound right. Let's pick "ladder" then, right?

Yes, "ladder" sounds good. :)

As to the translation of game, I had thought about using "partij", while translating match, e.g. a best of 3 games battle, I thought about using "kamp" (or tweekamp) borrowed from the chess world. I do like "duel" though, as, again, it is very short. I'd go with "duel" for games and (twee)kamp for matches. What do you say?

Yes, I'm quite partial to "Duel", I'm not entirely sold on "tweekamp" however, although simply "kamp" sounds pretty good. Where in-game would it be used exactly? From what I can see "tweekamp" is often used to describe a match of chess or checkers, so it might fit better than I initially thought.

As to "Vriendschappelijk duel", would "Los duel" work, "los" in the sense of "gemoedelijk" and not related to any ladder or tournament? Again, it is very short! What do you think?

"Los Duel" sounds a bit clunky to me, but I'm hard-pressed to find a decent alternative. So i think it is about the best we can do if we want to stay with "Duel" and not go a different route entirely.

If you have more feedback or suggestions you'd want to leave it in the comment column of the sheet too. I think we can get the sheet updated by tomorrow evening.

Currently working on that.:)

EDIT: forgive my noobness in the google doc, never used it before.
Djenin

Postby Carjan » Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:28 pm

Hi devs,

Our team has made the translations as well as some other changes and improvements in the sheet you referred to in your latest link. We believe the text is ready for including in tomorrow's patch. Looking forward to go see it in-game for another round of testing.
Carjan

Postby Carjan » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:51 am

Ivko,

I corrected a few remaining issues and added remarks in the translation sheet. I did this in the sheet in the link of raz0r's post 19.

Some of the issues were just (minor) spelling errors. The two more serious ones, I believe, were:
1. We acually forgot to translate the word "less" in the body text of the Darl Portal card :o . It's been corrected!
2. Consistently translated the "enters the field" into "het veld betreedt". We had two alternative translations before, now there is only one.

I hope this is still in time to make it to the next patch -- you said the end date was today.
Carjan

Postby ivko » Wed Apr 06, 2016 7:55 am

Yes, the changes will make it into the patch. Thanks for the corrections!
ivko

Postby Carjan » Fri May 06, 2016 2:34 pm

Just curious how you guys intend to continue maintaining the translations and if any significant (positive or negative) feedback has been collected from players by now? If so, I hope the translation job our small team did, was at least decent.

On the translation topic, I recently read an interesting remark on the German translation thread about the so called "Deppenleerzeichen", a white space between words that are supposed to be written as a single word in our languages. Dutch and German are rather closely related and basically share the grammar when it comes to the placing of the words and making new, composed words. E.g. Elf Commandor would be translated as Elvencommandant. What we did in the Dutch translation, with hindsight, was not always consistent -- We wrote Elf Commandant. This example sounds like nit-picking, but it would be interesting to know if there was any other feedback from Dutch-speaking players on the translation.

Thank you!
Carjan

Postby ivko » Sat May 07, 2016 1:15 pm

Hi Carjan,

Sadly the Dutch translation have been rated the lowest by the players at 2.56 average (out of 5).

That's why we decided to give the translation for review by the new localization company we are working with. You will be able to see the revised translations in the game soon. If the results are fine, we will continue to work with that localization company on game updates and future texts.

That said, I must say I don't feel disappointed by your effort, and I'm more than glad that we have Dutch in the game. Were it not for you, Jodelien, and the rest of the players that helped, Dutch would never have been supported at all.

Cheers,
Ivko
ivko

PreviousNext

Return to Community Translation