The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Dutch translation thread

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Dutch translation thread

Postby Static71 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:00 pm

Bit late but in case it still would be interesting for you, i gladly help out with Dutch translations. I am native dutch with fluent english and good German skills. I also would can help out with any dutch communication if the need might ever arise.
Static71

Re: Dutch translation thread

Postby ivko » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:10 pm

That's wonderful to hear! We're planning the localized versions to come out in March, so there's time for making a translation. But it's still a lot of work.

Do you think you can try translating all the texts by yourself? They are 13,000 words with some more coming along the way.

Thanks a lot for offering your help :)
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Postby Static71 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 10:18 pm

Sounds like a lot of work :D that would be approx 70 days which would make 200 words a day. the initial text would be pretty straight forward, which leaves more time for the more complicated parts. Sure i can do it, seeing i have nothing better at hand and holidays are comming up.
Static71

Postby ivko » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:53 am

Here's the link to the Google spreadsheet. On the first page, there's a glossary of the important terms which should be translated consistently across all card texts.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1I9z-vtXEEKHUrliF8jkTmKgcysxWx3y7fOWMT6XD3CY/edit?usp=sharing

In English creature skills such as Swift are translated as adjectives. If that's an issue in Dutch (for example because of matching adjectives to the respective noun by gender), you could translate them as noun keywords instead. Then all phrased like "<card name> is Swift this turn" should become for example "<card name> has Swiftness this turn".

Another important thing to know is that a lot of the texts contains code snippets looking like that:

${code}
$code
{code}
<code>

They must remain AS THEY ARE, without translating anything, otherwise the game will break while trying to display them (the code gets executed and replaced by the produced number, or represents an icon to be displayed in the text).

If there's any text for which the context is unclear, and you don't know where it appears in the game, feel free to ask me here.
ivko

Postby Jodelien » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:38 pm

I'll try to help out a bit as well... ^^
Jodelien

Postby ivko » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:23 am

Hi Jodelien,

Our friend Static71 decided to move away from Spellweaver, so it seems you're all alone. We'll be more than happy to have Dutch support in Spellweaver, but have in mind it is a lot of work for a single person.

If you are ready to help nevertheless, don't worry about the schedule I posted above. It is for the initial languages which Spellweaver will support. We can integrate new languages as the translations become ready.

Thanks in advance for your help!
ivko

Postby Jodelien » Wed Feb 17, 2016 3:57 pm

I made a start, but honestly, I'd love to see someone else join in as well, it's always easier to discuss. :)

Maybe later. :) I'll see where I'll end up.
Jodelien

Postby Jodelien » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:25 pm

By the way, is there a reason you ask for the exact, same words & sentences, several times?

Or was this just the easiest way to get all text out of the game?
Jodelien

Postby Jodelien » Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:53 am

Sorry for posting again, but I fear an edit will get lost.

I was looking for an opinion and since I don't know the other translations, I'm asking it here to keep everything consistent.

* The Angel of Whatever cards are hard to translate to Dutch, I chose to pick an "old Dutch" type of wording, using "der" and "des" which is also shorter than the moder "van de". Both mean of, der just hasn't been used for 100 years in books, but somehow I feel it would fit the style of the game better.
* Dutch people use a lot of English words in their language, I'll try to use the official Dutch words as much as possible (I prefer them over the words we "borrowed", but parts will look the same.
* Formal or informal. Again, the feel of the game tells me to talk to the player in a "formal" way, even though daily language tends to forget that that's even a possibility. Belgians might prefer that too. Agreed on this? I assume this game isn't meant for just 10 year olds? Or again, I could exchange that for an older, formal version of "u" which would be "gij". Maybe I read too much LOtR, but that had the same feeling language-wise... Not sure if I'm right there?
Jodelien

Postby ivko » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:30 pm

1. Translation texts are extracted automatically, and there are always some duplicates. In short, yes, that was the easiest way to extract them. There shouldn't be too many duplicates I think.

2. I think using old Dutch is okay, but it's hard for me to judge because I don't speak Dutch :)

3. Yes, using as few English words as possible is the right way to go.

4. About formal / informal, that's language and culture-dependent. How are similar games translated into Dutch? If you have no idea, I would go with the safest approach. And yes, Spellweaver is generally played by people 20 to 40 years old. I wouldn't use old formal forms here. As far as I know in German they used informal speech, but... this really depends the most on what is the "established standard".
ivko

Next

Return to Community Translation