The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

Russian Translation

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Russian Translation

Postby ivko » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:37 am

For now, Delmar is our only volunteer for a Russian translation.

The translation will go through the following phases:

Week 1 (ends Oct 11th) - core game terms translation (150-160 terms)
Week 2-4 (ends Nov 1st) - game texts translation (about 13,000 words)
Week 5-6 (ends Nov 15th) - proofreading
Week 7-8 (ends Nov 29th) - translation and proofreading of any updated / new texts (2-3,000 words), testing in-game

Delmar, since you are the only person for Russian, you can just start with translating the game terms here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/17tet6hXtpqxOzZYbQpTL-sWlsyf3_zLctAOAmawKD_U/edit?usp=sharing

NOTES ON TERMS TRANSLATION wrote:
We are looking for the best translation of each core game term. Do use terms the players are familiar with from other games, but please avoid names of abilities/mechanics that match the ones in Magic the Gathering or other TCGs (except for exhaust/ready), if possible.

In English creature abilities such as Flying, Swift, Unstoppable, Deadly, etc. use adjectives. Then, on the cards you will see phrases such as "<name> is Swift this turn". You need to decide whether that's the best approach for Russian. If not, you can use nouns, and then these phrases will be translated as "<name> has Swiftness this turn".

Lastly, the length in characters of the translated texts does matter. We're still looking for a good-sounding translation, and prefer to not lose quality due to text size constraints, but where possible, use shorter translations.

Have fun :)
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

Re: Russian Translation

Postby Delmar » Mon Oct 05, 2015 8:58 pm

I'm almost done with my friend who knows English better than me. It is a pity that he doesn't play SW. I used his knowledge of English, and my knowledge of the context of the game for the most accurate translation.

But Contraption, Lifebound and Decay really very difficult to translate. Need to translate a few words. And still will not be quite precisely and succinctly. Decay can be translated "сгноить", but it would be very unpopular and repulsive word. It is difficult to imagine its use for in-game term. Can I use some Russian words to translate one English?
And for "resign" I did not find the correct context in game. Can show fully phrase?

In addition, the context is important not only for the selection of the correct sense, but for Russian grammar too.
So you can't just substitute words. You have to at least change the end of words.
For example:
Destroy - Уничтожьте
Target - Цель/целевой
Creature - Существо
Goblin - Гоблин
Bird - Птица
Two - Два
Destroy target creature - Уничтожьте целевое существо
Destroy target goblin - Уничтожьте целевого гоблина
Destroy target two goblins - Уничтожьте двух целевых гоблинов
Destroy target bird - Уничтожьте целевую птицу
Russian forum moderator
Delmar

Postby The.Vortex » Mon Oct 05, 2015 9:54 pm

Delmar wrote:And for "resign" I did not find the correct context in game. Can show fully phrase?

"Do you really wish to resign?" and simlar phrases. They are not found on cards, but in the client itself.

Delmar wrote:In addition, the context is important not only for the selection of the correct sense, but for Russian grammar too.
So you can't just substitute words. You have to at least change the end of words.

This first step is just to find the right base words/phrases to use. Applying Grammar to fit them into the complete sentences will be done in the next step.
The.Vortex

Postby ivko » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:19 am

The translations of the game terms won't be used directly in the game. They will serve as a reference for the next phases to make sure all instances of a term are translated in the same way.

You will get the entire sentences next week, and when you see a core game term, you should use the translation made in this step.

Is it all clear now?
ivko

Postby Delmar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:35 am

"Do you really wish to resign?" and simlar phrases. They are not found on cards, but in the client itself.

Thanks!

You will get the entire sentences next week, and when you see a core game term, you should use the translation made in this step.

Is it all clear now?

OK:)
Russian forum moderator
Delmar

Postby Delmar » Tue Oct 06, 2015 11:51 am

And now we have 3 very difficult words:
1. Contraption. Literal translation - "Хитрая штуковина" or easier "Штуковина". But it sounds a bit colloquial. Is it OK?

2. Lifebound. Similar things try to translate adjectives. Can be translated "Жизнесвязанный". But this word is missing in the Russian language. We can use two words, but it's not an adjective: "Жизненная связь" or "Связь жизни". But "Связь жизни" it's almost the same thing "Цепь жизни". "Цепь жизни" - the term from mtg for "Lifelink".

3. Decay. For noun it is easy. "Распад" - good word. But for verb this is problem. I can translate the concept literally:
"Put X card(s) from top of target player deck into his graveyard". But I can't think short term.
Russian forum moderator
Delmar

Postby ivko » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:40 am

1. Contraption - let's look at what Magic the Gathering uses, it seems to use "устройство" (http://www.mymagic.ru/catalog/card/view/7259). Maybe there isn't any other suitable Russian word for that, and I'm okay with "устройство".

2. Lifebound - this depends on whether you chose to go with adjectives (прилагательное) or nouns (соществительное) for the creature abilities. I think that if you're going for adjectives, "Жизнесвязанный" is perfectly okay, it's a compound word and everyone will understand it. If you're going for nouns, "Связь жизни" is different enough from the MTG term.

3. Decay - I can't really help you there, my Russian is not that good :) The literal translation doesn't always work. Can you come up with another word that can be used both as a noun and as a verb? Translating the concept literally doesn't work here. In the future we'll have "when a player decays cards" or "deals damage in the form of decaying cards", and these will cause problems.
ivko

Postby krip » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:19 am

Delmar wrote:3. Decay. For noun it is easy. "Распад" - good word. But for verb this is problem. I can translate the concept literally:
"Put X card(s) from top of target player deck into his graveyard". But I can't think short term.

I guess you can perceive Decay as Rot in this case. They are both synonyms in Russian and English. In Russian you have suitable verbs that fit very well: гнить, сгнить, загнивать.

The logic is - То что гнить потом распадается.

: )
Shhh! Shhhh! Please, be quiet... respect the developers!

Spellweaver
creative/producer/odd job guy
krip

Postby Delmar » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:01 am

ivko wrote:1. Contraption - "устройство".

Hmmm... "Устройство" - it is gadget or device, but sounds good. OK it will be "Устройство"

2. Lifebound - this depends on whether you chose to go with adjectives (прилагательное) or nouns (соществительное) for the creature abilities. I think that if you're going for adjectives, "Жизнесвязанный" is perfectly okay, it's a compound word and everyone will understand it. If you're going for nouns, "Связь жизни" is different enough from the MTG term.

To keep the overall system with adjectives - choose "Жизнесвязанный". Sounds not bad.

In Russian you have suitable verbs that fit very well: гнить, сгнить, загнивать.

OK, but in context (verb imperative) сorrectly form for "гнить/сгнить" - its "сгноить". Brrr, very unpopular and ugly word.
Other synonyms "Распадаться", "Тлеть" do not have the form of imperative. I will try to come up with something else.
Russian forum moderator
Delmar

Postby Baka9 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Hello, I'm a native Russian speaker. If you don't mind, I have some suggestions.

First, about "decay". I don't know how to translate this word in phrases like "hero decays x cards'. But is it possible to replace this phrase by "hero lose/waste x cards"? In that case translation would be easy: "герой теряет/растрачивает х карт". It's not literal translation but convey significance of the word.

Second, some small suggestions about other words.
"is declared as a part of your final attack"="объявлен частью вашей финальной/окончательной атаки" (because "последней атаки" is more fit for "last attack").
"Corruption"="Порча" (just another variant).
"Dominion"="Господство" or "Власть" (I think it's more associated with politics of Faessaya).
"Unstoppable"="Неудержимый" or "Непреклонный" (just sounds better).
Baka9

Next

Return to Community Translation