The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

French - Discussion Thread

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Re: French - Discussion Thread

Postby Tooms » Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:20 pm

ivko wrote:Implants will probably be added to other aspects, namely Wisdom. The design of our first expansion is still unfinished, so I can't say whether the new Implants will use the same mechanic (putting Weakness emblems).

Thanks! In that case, I think we should broaden the translation a bit and maybe avoid "greffe" (sadly) or simply keep "Implants".
Tooms

Postby Oxygen » Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Implant is fine; as mentioned earlier, I just like pushing it to find interesting alternatives.
Oxygen

Postby Lirysse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 4:45 pm

Tooms wrote:"La forge de cette épée a pris plusieurs jour". Of course it is an action as well, weird that you've never heard/used it.

Of course...? Not really. Finally I have checked in an older dictionnary than the one I had used before and I have found "forgeage". So there is actually a corresponding noun, but it is not this simple "forge".

Tooms wrote:Something can be exceptionnal and not be rare, I personnally rate it lower.

I am sorry, but... You personnally rate it lower, but my both dictionnaries do not. ^^''

Tooms wrote:If you guys don't like "inarrêtable", then I'd suggest we go for "écrasant" or "terrassant" ( which has the stompy feeling of getting rolled over by a massive creature).

I like "écrasant" as well but "inarrêtable" has the advantage to go in hand with "imparable" like unblockable/unstoppable. We would need the Pizz's opinion to definitively solve it...
Lirysse

Postby Tooms » Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:19 pm

Lirysse wrote:
Tooms wrote:"La forge de cette épée a pris plusieurs jour". Of course it is an action as well, weird that you've never heard/used it.

Of course...? Not really. Finally I have checked in an older dictionnary than the one I had used before and I have found "forgeage". So there is actually a corresponding noun, but it is not this simple "forge".

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forge . First definition.
http://www.larousse.fr/dictionnaires/fr ... orge/34604. First definition.
"Forge" isn't only the workplace, it is also the technique/action of metalworking. I also like it if it reminds people of a blacksmith workshop as well, what's wrong about it, they're about to craft cards.

What is your preference if you don't like this one.

Lirysse wrote:
Tooms wrote:Something can be exceptionnal and not be rare, I personnally rate it lower.

I am sorry, but... You personnally rate it lower, but my both dictionnaries do not. ^^''

No need to be sorry, though what is your alternative solution then?

Pizz mentioned he doesn't have much time anymore and backed down, don't wait on him. Plus we're getting our new set to translate tomorrow.
Tooms

Postby Lirysse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:18 pm

I was talking about serious dictionaries, not about untrustworthy websites like Wikipedia... Additionnally these definitions refers to the profession, not to the action !
I had suggested "créer/création". I do not understand why you want to complicate the translations... We do not need to look for ambiguous terms.

Well, that is "peu commun"... That is not a single word, but that is clear and commonly used... Again trying to find something else amounts to saying that we uselessly complicate the work.
Lirysse

Postby Tooms » Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:47 pm

Alright, I've pulled up some definition from untrusty dictionnaries such as Larousse because I thought you didn't know the use of that word and that would help you decide. But that wasn't the problem apparently. I don't know why you think it's ambiguous.

I am looking for alternative translations with more flavour when there is no French equivalent or if the litteral one doesn't satisfy me. I don't think this is complicating anything, and I certainly don't think it is useless.

Moving on, we're allowed to disagree.

"Création" and "peu commune" are both fine with me, I prefer the other suggestions though.
Tooms

Postby Oxygen » Wed Oct 14, 2015 1:57 am

Forger is most definitely usable; it is the verb that describes the process.

Une forge is the place where the process occurs; the atelier in itself, if you will.

Termium, the govt of canada's official lexic, recognizes the term fully. Source

It would be a great missed opportunity to skip on this.
Oxygen

Postby julianna » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:45 am

hi, juste a little message for saying you good luck with translation :)

and also a little question for you.. why choose "savoir" for translation of "wisdom" ? i have always think that the real translation for this is something like "sagesse" , no ?

sorry if it was already discussed, i don't have see it.

by the way, for "uncommun" i guess that "inhabituel" or "inusité" can be a good choice : only one word, more commun than "rare"
julianna

Postby Oxygen » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:33 pm

julianna wrote:hi, juste a little message for saying you good luck with translation :)

and also a little question for you.. why choose "savoir" for translation of "wisdom" ? i have always think that the real translation for this is something like "sagesse" , no ?

by the way, for "uncommun" i guess that "inhabituel" or "inusité" can be a good choice : only one word, more commun than "rare"

I think we chose "savoir" because of me, so I'll explain my reasoning: blue isn't about being sage, but rather, about research and technology. They create inventions, sometimes dangerous, and still wage wars against other factions, using technology and strange magic against their enemies. To me, that's more about using knowledge (savoir) than being "sage" (sagesse).
Oxygen

Postby Tooms » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:48 pm

julianna wrote:hi, juste a little message for saying you good luck with translation :)

Hi, and thanks.
I suggested "Sagesse", but both my co-workers suggested "Savoir", which after re-thinking made more sense considering the Aspect's lore. Wisdom folks are knowledge-hungry wizards, so we went with "Savoir" ;) (I believe we discussed it in the first few posts).

As for "uncommon", well I like our one-word suggestions better too, I'm only one voice though.
Tooms

PreviousNext

Return to Community Translation