The forums are closed as we are moving all discussions into Discord.

Join our Discord server by following this link.

French - Discussion Thread

Help us with translating Spellweaver in your language!

Re: French - Discussion Thread

Postby Oxygen » Mon Oct 12, 2015 1:29 am

Lirysse wrote:So what do we do for the problematical terms ? Should we vote ?

- Craft/crafting (création/fabrication)
- Implant (implant/greffe)(by the way what do you think about "équipement" ?)
- Gold (or/point d'or/pièce d'or)
- Front line (première ligne/ligne avant/ligne de front) : we have used "ligne de soutien" so "ligne de front" looks more logical to me
- Ranked game (partie classée/de classement)
- Resign (random draw ?)
- Primary shrine (temple primaire ?)
- Unbind (I do not know at all !)(Démanteler/délier ?)
- Unblockable (Imparable/imblocable/ne peut pas être bloqué)
- Unncommun (inhabituel/peu commun)
- Unstoppable (Inarrêtable/puissant/écrasant)

My suggestions in bold:

>Forger

>Greffe; équipement definitely does not carry the "forceful" aspect of implants. I don't think you could consider having your hand replaced by a hook as equipment, or literal spiked metal plates fused onto your body.

>Points d'or; my logic for this is what when you earn gold, we'll just say "vous avez acquis/gagné/etc. x Points d'or

>Ligne de front

>Partie de classement; I explained my logic above - doesn't really matter if it's longer

>Abdiquer; abandonner has a much less specific meaning. It would be a shame to leave abdiquer unused, imho.

>Temple primaire; I don't like "de base", because it implies that they are somehow inferior to and/or underdeveloped versions of the other temples. Obviously, that isn't the case.

>Extraire

>ne peut être bloqué(e); I really like imparable, however, the mechanic is called "block"; we want wording that remains close to the mechanic.

>Inusité

>Irrésistible
Oxygen

Postby Tooms » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:07 am

Oxygen wrote:>Forger

Yeah, that does it. I like this one," Forger des cartes" feels right.

Oxygen wrote:>Greffe; équipement definitely does not carry the "forceful" aspect of implants. I don't think you could consider having your hand replaced by a hook as equipment, or literal spiked metal plates fused onto your body.

Well, we've discussed it before, "greffe" has the sadistic experiment feel of the Dominion fluff, I'm all for it.

Oxygen wrote:>Points d'or; my logic for this is what when you earn gold, we'll just say "vous avez acquis/gagné/etc. x Points d'or

I mean, It's currency not points, I'd rather we go for "Or" or "Pièces d'or" in that case.

Oxygen wrote:>Partie de classement; I explained my logic above - doesn't really matter if it's longer

Size matters as per Ivko's instructions. But whatever works.

Oxygen wrote:>Abdiquer; abandonner has a much less specific meaning. It would be a shame to leave abdiquer unused, imho.

I agree that "Abdiquer" is a lot more specific, but it does not really apply here imo. You "abdique" out of a position or an opinion not out of a game.

Oxygen wrote:>Extraire

I like it a lot. Making it a noun is a lot less clunky here for the "Quick unbind" translation AND it makes sense regarding the "turn spells into shrines" mechanism.

Oxygen wrote:>ne peut être bloqué(e); I really like imparable, however, the mechanic is called "block"; we want wording that remains close to the mechanic.

You only need the meaning to be close to the mechanic for a card ability, not necessarily the wording if you can't help it. Keep in mind that when reading a spell, you will always have a tooltip pop up on the side that explains each specific ability. So again, there's no need to go for an explanation twice on the card.

Oxygen wrote:>Inusité

It doesn't feel right. It conveys a sense of rarity of usage rather than rarity period. Most games translated to french had to turn "uncommon" into "exceptionnel" iirc ( Commun into Exceptionnel into Rare into Épique and so on).

Oxygen wrote:>Irrésistible

I think I like "Inarrêtable" better there. You can resist an unstoppable creature but you cannot stop it. "Irrésistible" is closer to "overwhelming" than "unstoppable".
Tooms

Postby Lirysse » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:40 am

@Oxygen

Implant : "équipement" is still closer since only the Grappling hook could be considered as a "greffe". I do not think that we have to express this aspect... Anyway "implant" and "greffe" do not carry this aspect as well.

Points d'or : it makes no sense... ^^'' "Pièce d'or" is largely simpler and means something.

Ligne de front : OK.

Abdiquer : "Abdiquer" does not really correspond with the context. That is why it is unused, I guess.

Temple primaire : OK.

Imparable : Well, I like "imparable" as well but that is not false...

Inusité : It does not correspond to the context (it is a rarity degree).

Irrésistible : the meaning of this word does not match.

For Unbind I finally prefer you first proposition (délier), even if it might me a little hazy.
Lirysse

Postby Lirysse » Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:50 am

Forger : And what would be the noun for "crafting" ? Créer/création, forger/...?

And for Life/Lifebound ? Life=vie but "total de vie" may more correspond with the possible contexts (for example the alternative win condition). "Lien de vie" is actually the Magic term and "lien vital" is rather close. Is "liaison vitale" enough distant ?
Lirysse

Postby Tooms » Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:35 pm

Lirysse wrote:Implant : "équipement" is still closer since only the Grappling hook could be considered as a "greffe". I do not think that we have to express this aspect... Anyway "implant" and "greffe" do not carry this aspect as well.

They all can be generalized as "greffes". Creatures end up dieing from rejecting the agressive implants afterall. Honeslty what would help me decide is if I knew implants are gonna be Dominion-only cards or not. And I think they will, "Equipement" cards might come up in the future so we should'nt generalize terms too much unless Ivko gives us the go.
In that regard, I still like "Greffe" but we could just keep "implant" as it is to minimize the risk.

Lirysse wrote:For Unbind I finally prefer you first proposition (délier), even if it might me a little hazy.

Délier is fine but it doesn't work with what we want. "Quick unbind" which is the main occurence of this word wont translate well as a noun, "Déliement rapide", nah. On the other hand, "Extraction rapide" works fine, and extracting shrines out of a card is understandable.

Lirysse wrote:Forger : And what would be the noun for "crafting" ? Créer/création, forger/...?

Forge, simply.

Lirysse wrote:And for Life/Lifebound ? Life=vie but "total de vie" may more correspond with the possible contexts (for example the alternative win condition). "Lien de vie" is actually the Magic term and "lien vital" is rather close. Is "liaison vitale" enough distant ?

Vie and Vie totale or Total de vie depending on contexts will be used sure. I'm ok with "liaison vitale".
Tooms

Postby Oxygen » Mon Oct 12, 2015 3:49 pm

Forger it is.

I'm still in favour of greffe; equipment sounds a lot more mundane, and as mentioned, does not carry over the forceful/sadistic feature of the dominion cardset

Or is fine.

I understand that size matters (ask my ex... ;( ). We'll ask if the 6-letter difference is too much.

Abdiquer. Abandonner is also very much fine, however. I just like pushing myself for interesting creations a little.

I stand by extraire. It essentially shows that we "suck" the power out of cards in order to forge new cards.

It is true that we'll have in-game definitions. Imparable is fine, then.

Exceptionnel was my next suggestion, if inusité wasn't interesting to you guys. I'm ok with it.

Inarrêtable is pretty blehhh; it seems to convey that even its owner couldn't somehow control the card. It just comes off as uncontrollable, for everyone. Could something like surpuissant work? So as to carry the sense of "it'll plow through your cards, and then unto your face"?

As for life, it depends on the context, as mentioned.

Liaison de vie is probably fine for lifebound. Vitale seems to convey a meaning of "necessity", as if the liaison itself was necessary to the card or the hero's survival.
Oxygen

Postby Disgallion » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:12 am

Oxygen wrote:Forger it is.

I'm still in favour of greffe; equipment sounds a lot more mundane, and as mentioned, does not carry over the forceful/sadistic feature of the dominion cardset

Yeah, "Greffe" or "Implant", but like said before, "Équipement" can come later without the drawback of theses one.

Oxygen wrote:Abdiquer. Abandonner is also very much fine, however. I just like pushing myself for interesting creations a little.

I'm just afraid that some french won't understand the meaning of the word firstly... You know... it's uncommon x)

Oxygen wrote:I stand by extraire. It essentially shows that we "suck" the power out of cards in order to forge new cards.

100% with that.

Oxygen wrote:Inarrêtable is pretty blehhh; it seems to convey that even its owner couldn't somehow control the card. It just comes off as uncontrollable, for everyone. Could something like surpuissant work? So as to carry the sense of "it'll plow through your cards, and then unto your face"?

What about "Charge" ?
Disgallion

Postby Lirysse » Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:58 am

Disgallion wrote: Oxygen wrote:
I stand by extraire. It essentially shows that we "suck" the power out of cards in order to forge new cards.

100% with that.

OK.

Tooms wrote:Forge, simply.

The term "forge" refers to the workshop where you forge, not to the action, so it does not work (unless if my dictionnary is not complete).

Tooms wrote:It doesn't feel right. It conveys a sense of rarity of usage rather than rarity period. Most games translated to french had to turn "uncommon" into "exceptionnel" iirc ( Commun into Exceptionnel into Rare into Épique and so on).

"Exceptionnel" ? For uncommon cards ? I use to see "peu commune"... "Exceptionnel" is too high for this rarity degree... Getting uncommon cards is not "exceptionnel" at all, and in the strict sense of the term "exceptionnel" is higher than "rare" in a rarity scale.

For Implant I think we just should keep "implant" for the moment and potentially modify according to the future cards of this category, just as Tooms said.
Lirysse

Postby Tooms » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:42 am

Lirysse wrote:The term "forge" refers to the workshop where you forge, not to the action, so it does not work (unless if my dictionnary is not complete).

"La forge de cette épée a pris plusieurs jour". Of course it is an action as well, weird that you've never heard/used it.

Lirysse wrote:"Exceptionnel" ? For uncommon cards ? I use to see "peu commune"... "Exceptionnel" is too high for this rarity degree... Getting uncommon cards is not "exceptionnel" at all, and in the strict sense of the term "exceptionnel" is higher than "rare" in a rarity scale.

I understand your concern but I still like any one-worded adjective better than "peu commun". Something can be exceptionnal and not be rare, I personnally rate it lower. If you'd rather avoid exceptionnel, then other than "inhabituel" I'm out of ideas right now.

Lirysse wrote:For Implant I think we just should keep "implant" for the moment and potentially modify according to the future cards of this category, just as Tooms said.

Well I advised to pick something that we won't have to modify, actually. You're strongly against Greffe, Oxy is strongly for it, and I'm undecided because I'd like to know from Ivko if Implants are gonna be a generic subtype or a Dominion-only subtype.

Disgallion wrote:
Oxygen wrote:Inarrêtable is pretty blehhh; it seems to convey that even its owner couldn't somehow control the card. It just comes off as uncontrollable, for everyone. Could something like surpuissant work? So as to carry the sense of "it'll plow through your cards, and then unto your face"?

What about "Charge" ?

What you find bothering, I find fitting, weirdly. It makes sense to me that a Flame serpent or a crazy Xiarra would be hard to control; not game-wise you know, but flavour-wise. I get what you mean by "surpuissant" tho I'd rather go with another one, just to stay away from "puissant" which could appear in later translations.

I've thought about "Charge", but it's been used by many other CCG's, for different abilities(usually swift-like) and would be confusing or less original imho.

If you guys don't like "inarrêtable", then I'd suggest we go for "écrasant" or "terrassant" ( which has the stompy feeling of getting rolled over by a massive creature).

Oxygen wrote:Liaison de vie is probably fine for lifebound. Vitale seems to convey a meaning of "necessity", as if the liaison itself was necessary to the card or the hero's survival.

In a sense, it is "vital" for the hero's survival, it's replenishing its hp's afterall ;p I dunno, I don't really have any preference here, but I don't think we need to shy away from the "vital" adjective. That being said, Liaison de vie is just fine.
Last edited by Tooms on Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tooms

Postby ivko » Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:48 am

Implants will probably be added to other aspects, namely Wisdom. The design of our first expansion is still unfinished, so I can't say whether the new Implants will use the same mechanic (putting Weakness emblems).
Your friendly Spellweaver lead, programmer, designer... you name it!
ivko

PreviousNext

Return to Community Translation